Wheels again - American Classics v Ksyrium Elites

sods_law
sods_law Posts: 161
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, sorry for another 'what wheels' thread! seem to be a common theme...

I have a Boardman Team Carbon and am looking to upgrade the wheels. I have been recommended Kysrium Elites based on passed experience, but there seems to be very little written about the 2010 versions.

I appreciate there is another thread on the Mavic Ksyrium Elites just been started below, so I look forward to the replies in that, but have come across American Classics wheels (http://www.eurobike.uk.com/list.aspx?CAT=59), which seem to offer very similar weight to price value as the Mavics.

The Cycling Plus guys seem to like the American Classics wheels (latest mag), but again there seems to be very little written about them, i assume as they are only recently imported to the UK?

Regarding what I am after, I seem to be regarded as a climber (am usually first to the top of hills), but have done a couple of TTs, and am keen to get racing shortly. Basically after some lightweight wheels with a bit of aero. I am 70 kgs.

I have short listed the Kysrium Elites, but the American Classics Victory 30s or Sprint 350s look appealing aswell.

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    i have American Classic 420's and they a fantastic - as well as looking great, but I would rate Fulcrum hubs above the Mavic K's too
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    Thanks for that :)

I have to say, I am very tempted by the Sprint 350s. Might have to give them a call...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Sprint 350 has a fairly light rim by modern standards so don't go battering your way through potholes and expect not to need the spoke key. I have some 420s and previously have built wheels with AC hubs - they do need a little more care than the likes of Mavic. Generally, Mavic wheels are pretty bombproof.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..