Carbon frame on a turbo?

Chrissz
Chrissz Posts: 727
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Does this work or do the chainstays crack?

I want to be able to keep pedalling but a broken wrist is currently keeping me off the bike - a turbo is the logical alternative :)

However, my winter bike is in bits in the shed and (being one-handed) I am unable to re-assemble it to a point where I can use it on the turbo.

My summer frame is a rather nice Orbea but I've heard stories/whispers of the chainstays cracking when using carbon frames on a turbo trainer - urban myth or fact?

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i use a tacx satori on my carbon Feltroad bile and carbon PX stealth TT bike

http://www.tacx.com/en/producten/fietstrainers/Satori/index.dot?categoryId=6125 lool at the photos.

I recall, but can't find the reference that said, "whilst we Tacx, caonnot do not? recommend the use of carbon frames, pro teams have been doing so with no problems."
  • Chrissz
    moonshine wrote:
    pro teams have been doing so with no problems."

A very good point :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    if in doub5t dont risk it. find someone to put the other bike together.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I'd talk to the dealer you got the Orbea from and ask if there's a policy on turbo use affecting the warranty? I know some manufacturers cover certain models. Probably depends how hard you go also I suppose :?:
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    Had my carbon Kuota on a Tacx turbo all winter and it didn't fall apart. Surely the frames are over-engineered enough to take the load? Tacx are probably just covering themselves with that advice.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • fixiebob
    fixiebob Posts: 222
    Theres no problem using carbon bike on Turbo after all your tightening the turbo onto your skewers thats what is taking the strain.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    not so.
  • Chrissz
    rake wrote:
    not so.
    How so not so?

I think I know what you're "not so"ing but a little expansion on your comment would be much more helpful :)

If the axle/skewer is fixed in place then thr frame is unable to sway from side to side pivoting on the tyre contact point - instead, any swaying motion has to be taken through the frame itself instead.

This much I understand - what I'm more nervous of is weather the chainstays can handle the (limited) motion.

As it is I'll be pedalling pretty gently as I'll be one-handed and only able to effectively ride the tops (not sure I'll even manage the hoods, never mind drops!).
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I asked my LBS about it last year and basically you're right in that it's the fact the frame is swaying within the skewers, so it puts a lot of pressure on the chain stays and rear triangle.

Like you say thought, you should be okay just spinning as I think it's sprinting that causes the most strain. Take it you'll be taking your expensive rear tyre of your carbon bike before placing it in the turbo....

By the way, is it an Orca? My favourite bike and I intend to get one once I've worn out my Synapse Carbon SL!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its a myth - I've never heard of anyone breaking a carbon frame on a turbo and the question has been asked on here many times before.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The same as crabon bikes on roof racks - never seen a recorded incident - it's just a cop-out by the likes of Tacx in case someone trashes their bike. If Chris Hoy is happy to use a carbon frame on a turbo, then so should you?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The same as crabon bikes on roof racks - never seen a recorded incident - it's just a cop-out by the likes of Tacx in case someone trashes their bike. If Chris Hoy is happy to use a carbon frame on a turbo, then so should you?

yip....

I'm sure it is a lot of arse covering by Tacx... they are probably 99% certain there are no issues, but they don't want to publically approve it, for fear of opening floodgates on liability...

I've never had a problem with either my felt F3 or my PX stealth...

Given the weather today, i'm about to go on it in about 10 min!