What Compound Pads?

submityournentries
submityournentries Posts: 912
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
hey guys. 2 questions, the first being;

i spilt hydraulic oil on my rear pads, and have ridden my bike for a few miles since, so its also gone on the disc. i guess ill need to replace the pads, but do i need to change the disc? or could i just use wet and dry to take the top layer off the rotor?

second question is with regards to superstar's pads. i am not completely sure between kevlar and sintered. my current pads are sintered, but ive read in a few places they are more a winter pad (designed for more crap etc) and the kevlar ones are more summery. is this true? and therefore is it worth paying the extra for kevlar over sintered?

(oh i mostly do XC and that sort of thing, dont touch downhill, so long pad life is useful :)

cheers guys

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Get some disk brake cleaner - that should do the trick.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/muc-o ... 360016302/

(It's cheaper on Trdez....)

And I'd go for sintered, good all-round pads.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Yeah, just clean the rotor with some disk brake cleaner and change the pads. (I've done this twice on the front, got to pay attention when using the teflon spray).

I generally go with sintered all year round, as long as you bed them in properly they'll be fine.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Sintered's are fine, and I wouldn't go with anything else in Britain. They'll last a full summer in good conditions, so I reckon they work out cheaper too.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.