commutting & showering

RoseZella
RoseZella Posts: 18
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

Currently I am looking to comute to work and I need to find a place to shower. I am in Melbourne, Australia.

I have found a place which caters to my needs, specifically providing showers and lockers + other services which are an added bonus but not what I am really looking for(bike lodging, dry cleaning, bike servicing...). There is one problem which I am facing is the cost. At over $100 per month for their most basic package, I am unsure if it's worth it.

Was wondering if anybody could provide details of any similar services offered in Melbourne.

The website of the place I found is http://www.thebikeboutique.com/index.php

Cheers!

Comments

• macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    I have no idea Rosezella. Sorry. I live in Manchester which doesn't help me to help you. But now I think I am in another Universe when I look at that little piece of what looks like heaven in Melbourne, jacuzzi's, coffee, showers, friendship and toast. It looks like the land of the lotus-eaters, a Hotel California. I would never get to work. I would never leave....
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Showers?, dry cleaning?, bike servicing?.

Blimey, I feel like I am in the dark ages, all I have is a packet of wet wipes, a sink and a towel!!!!

Surely paying $100 a month for something that isn't strictly nessecary sorta negates any savings you'd make by communting by bike?
  • monkeyjo
    monkeyjo Posts: 54
    +1 for wet wipes!
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    How did we get from a little piece of heaven on earth to wet wipes? Ahh It was all so real... :wink:
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    + 2 for wet wipes... and the hand wash in the disabled toilet is a real winner. Even eyed the air freshener on Monday when I realised that I'd run out of deodarant at work!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    showers? wet wipes?

get to work, tin of lynx out good for the rest of the day
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Assuming you're in the cbd..... are you in a tower block? If so, have you asked building management if there are showers in the building. My employer had no showers but I approached building management (I used to work in AMP tower) and it turned out there were showers on alternate levels in the building that were there for all occupants to use, regardless of which level they worked on.

Also, aren't there some facilities at Flinders St Stn?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    No showers at my work (a primary school), but there is a pond in the playground. Looked quite tempting the other day when it was hot.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    You need a squaddie shower - wet wipes and a tin of Lynx.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Lol,does the job.
  • robbiedont
    robbiedont Posts: 89
    Another one for wet wipes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MTFU.

Lynx.
    Sink.
    Flannel.
    towel.

Plan ahead, stay ahead. :wink:
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    in the UK if your business employs a certain number of people (not sure of the exact figure) they have to provide shower facilities.

Might be the same over in your neck of the woods, especially with your weather! =D
    exercise.png
  • RoseZella wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Currently I am looking to comute to work and I need to find a place to shower. I am in Melbourne, Australia.

Was wondering if anybody could provide details of any similar services offered in Melbourne.

The website of the place I found is http://www.thebikeboutique.com/index.php

Cheers!

There is this place on Flinders St http://www.bikepark.com.au/about.html
    and the City of Melbourne is building what they call Bike Pods. The first is in City Square. http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Parksan ... kepod.aspx

I would also suggest checking with your building owner/manager. I can park my bike at my desk and use the showers my work provides on my floor, but there is also a communal facility in the car park.

If all that fails and your boss pays for parking for people who drive, then hit them up for the cost of the bike boutique. You will still have to pay for all the extra goodies you will end up buying because you walk through their store every day.
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    Alternative to Lynx...Impulse.. Women do not smell good in Lynx :wink:
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    CarleyB wrote:
    Alternative to Lynx...Impulse.. Women do not smell good in Lynx :wink:

When I've been away a few weeks, they (women :wink: ) smell good in anything! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    dmclite wrote:
    MTFU.

Lynx.
    Sink.
    Flannel.
    towel.

Plan ahead, stay ahead. :wink:

Tart!

Lynx= Shower in a can!
    That's all that is needed...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I wash at my desk, naked, flashing my bits at the scared cleaning lady. Not only does it save time but I also have somewhere to hang my coat...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Some of you must be nasty to work with! I couldn't ever consider not showering when I arrive after the commute. It's only 6 and a bit miles but I'm usualy dripping with sweat, however I push it pretty hard. Even if there's no smell I couldn't sit there with dried on sweat all over me all day...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Some of you must be nasty to work with! I couldn't ever consider not showering when I arrive after the commute. It's only 6 and a bit miles but I'm usualy dripping with sweat, however I push it pretty hard. Even if there's no smell I couldn't sit there with dried on sweat all over me all day...

Totally agree HH, could not imagine not showering after my commute(8miles). Although I am fortunate, being a firefighter we have great facilities at work.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    d4evr wrote:

Totally agree HH, could not imagine not showering after my commute(8miles). Although I am fortunate, being a firefighter we have great facilities at work.

Every ones different - did a turbo session this morning (2x20) then cycled into work (8 miles). I will shower today after I get home from work this evening.
  • d4evr
    kieranb wrote:
    d4evr wrote:

Every ones different - did a turbo session this morning (2x20) then cycled into work (8 miles). I will shower today after I get home from work this evening.

I agree, everyone is different. I do realise I am in a fortunate position to have showers, laundry facilities etc. at work and I am not criticising anyone for not showering. I just dont fancy doing it thats all! :wink:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    You don't need a full blown shower to get fresh, you can do a pretty decent strip wash job with a sink and some wetwipes.

Mind you, some of us are precious 8)
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    I got one of the members of staff last summer. He was sitting at the office desk and I snuck up behind him and rubbed the chamois pad on his face.

He nearly shat himself

:D

Edit: ride to work is 8.5 miles. Nice.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    Bunneh wrote:
    I wash at my desk, naked, flashing my bits at the scared cleaning lady. Not only does it save time but I also have somewhere to hang my coat...
    rofl :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • d4evr
    danowat wrote:
    You don't need a full blown shower to get fresh, you can do a pretty decent strip wash job with a sink and some wetwipes.

Mind you, some of us are precious 8)

Thats Me! :wink:
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Yes precious,miss a few and in no time...

440Talking-Smeagol-Lord-of-the-Ring.jpg