Should I worry about...?

XTC2009
XTC2009 Posts: 115
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I took part in the Builth Wells round of the CRC Marathon series at the weekend, and in preparing my bike at the last minute I somehow managed to misread my Reba forks air settings off of the label and decided that I needed 170PSI in them! I don't know what I was thinking, but I soon found out when I hit the rough stuff and it felt like I was riding a fully rigid! There was a knocking sound coming from them every time I took a big hit, and I hadn't taken the shock pump with me, but I nursed the bike home and got the pressure back down to where it should be at 120PSI as soon as I could.

When I let the pressure off from the bottom valve some oil came out with the air and through the shock pump. Not a lot, but enough to make we wince. :shock: These are fairly new forks to me so I don't have a lot of experience in this sort of thing. Could I have blown a seal? Or is the oil coming out normal? One of my friends told me that there is a tiny bit of oil in the air chamber to keep things lubricated and that I shouldn't worry. The forks do seem to be working as normal now.
Wobbly Cyclist

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes as the valve was pointing down oil does come out. dont do it again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown