Fitting new bottom bracket cups tiagra or ultegra

Tommytool
Tommytool Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Looking for some advice as to whether ultegra (hollowtech) cups are a direct replacement for tiagra that is currently fitted.
Mine is creaking badly, tried tightening and greasing but getting worse each ride now.

Thanks
Andy

Comments

• acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    yes, but offer very little difference over just getting another tiagra pair
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Tommytool
    Can you suggest any other BB to use these have only done a few hundred miles and are very noisey already
  • acidstrato
    not sure about that, bit odd they didnt last long though I've just replaced mine for the first time in 2 years, covered about 8000miles throughout all seasons

you not supposed to have to tighten the bb cups, if they are around about the correct torque settings and with abit of grease in the threads you shouldnt need to.

are you 100% certain is the bb creaking? its an easy mistake to make and many people do.

if you are then you should look into why it hasnt last long
  • Tommytool
    well thats where all the noise is coming from i have stripped them out and cleaned them put it all back together torqued the cups and crank arm bolts and chain ring bolts just in case and its still the same.
    Tried the pedals as well the bike is only a few months old
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    do your pedals have plastic threads? plastic on metal always seems to give problems. my mate had his bb replaced recently only to find it was the pedals
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I had a creaky BB(105) and just swapped to Ultegra(6700) and not only the creaking has stopped the transmission is much smooother with noticably less 'windage'. Easy swap to do with the right tool but just be aware the drive side is a lh thread. I used some copperslip on the threads to make it even easier to swap next time.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Tommytool wrote:
    well thats where all the noise is coming from i have stripped them out and cleaned them put it all back together torqued the cups and crank arm bolts and chain ring bolts just in case and its still the same.
    Tried the pedals as well the bike is only a few months old

Have you greased the crank arm and chain ring bolts, i made the same mistake recently, replaced the BB cups and the creaking was still there. I just needed to have greased the bolts.

While we are on this subject how do you know if you have overtightened the bottom bracket ie done the black plastic nut thingy up to tight?
  • acidstrato
    once the left crank arm is fitted and both bolts done up. these also have torque ratings. the plastic cap should only turn to a point and a 1/4 turn to stop it coming undone