Chainsets – SLX or…

leejdavies
leejdavies Posts: 217
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have readopted my Orange Patriot that hasn't had an upgrade for about 7 years.

I have added new Hope Moto brakes and hope ex721 hoops.

Next thing I want to get rid of is the cranks – currently a bombproof but no very smooth Cheftain. Keep knocking my ankles on the crankarms which hurts alot.

Looking at making it a more of an AM machine.

Is the SLX double with Bash worth it. Will it be strong enough?

I've been out of the MTB loop for a while now :oops:

Are there any alternatives in a similar price range (around £100)

Thanks.
Up: Wilier Mortirolo
Down: Orange Patriot

Comments

• SLX is about the best value for money crank on the market atm. you can't go far wrong with it.

and yea, it'll be plenty strong enough!
  • leejdavies
    …Or is it worth waiting for next years 10 speed… :o

Narrowly missed the 8 speed to 9 speed shift many moons ago. :(
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Rather than going for the SLX (which is a great value purchase BTW) have a look at the FSA Gravity Extreme (Double plus bash)

I originally ordered an SLX for my Cotic BFe build, however the wring one was shipped and I soon realised that

a) I didn't want it on the build as I didn't think it suited (as I hate mismatching shimano components - serious OCD)

b) I could live with the extra weight of a gravity-based chainset.

Anyway, the Gravity set is friggin' AWESOME and looks like it shall take a hell of a beating.... just fancied something different for a reasonable price.

Here:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... a-exo.html

Sure, its heavier, but it's an extreme chainset, hence the weight difference, weight weenism does not count with certain bikes I don't think....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's not weenieism if there's no downside, plenty of people have raced DH on SLX and XT cranks, they're ridiculously strong for what's supposed to be trailbike kit. Especially the double version with the steel pedal inserts. I'd go SLX without a second thought myself, not that I'm all that rough on kit but it feels as bombproof as Saint.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited May 2010
    leejdavies wrote:
    …Or is it worth waiting for next years 10 speed… :o

Narrowly missed the 8 speed to 9 speed shift many moons ago. :(

You seen XT Dyno sys *edit* ?

Same basis for the crank - different rings... Don't need to worry too much about the front - it's the rear that means chain, shifter, cassette and possibly mech.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Northwind wrote:
    It's not weenieism if there's no downside, plenty of people have raced DH on SLX and XT cranks, they're ridiculously strong for what's supposed to be trailbike kit. Especially the double version with the steel pedal inserts. I'd go SLX without a second thought myself, not that I'm all that rough on kit but it feels as bombproof as Saint.

I wasn't suggesting this was a 'weenyism' issue ;)

You know how people are "ooooh but it's over 1000g - the XX is only.."

You get my drift, on my other bike I was the same, so I thought I would approach this one differently (without avoiding the components I 'liked' because of the weight) and I wanted something a little bit of a break from the norm ;)

And yes, SLX, XT and XTR cranks have been used for most disciplines of course.... with good results.

I was just offering an alternative is al. :)
  • leejdavies
    To be honest my DMR cheftain it will replace probably weighs about 3000g :shock: – thing is basically chrome plated scaffold. So whether 100g here and there is not really a problem. It will be fitted to an Orange Patriot afterall not a weight conscious frame by any means.

Thanks Big Cheese for the steer with the FSA, looks nice may try and keep all the componentry black with white frame and forks. Undecided. The Cotic looks nice btw. love the decals on those things.

Also whilst I'm here…

What shifters (shimano I'm afraid :oops:) work well with Hope moto levers (new flip flop deisgn) my XT shifter is awkward as fook to use now. Have to use my thumb nail to pull the lever back which you usually use your index finger to push. If you get what I mean. the new lever design has screwed me over… :?