avid ellixir r to buy or not to buy

coxy17
coxy17 Posts: 401
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
im going to pursuse some new brakes tonight just need to see if the elixir r are right for me i need a brake with a lot of power and a bit of adjustment for a good price

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Elixirs are great, I am going to get one for the back of my 456.

TBH I would consider the Elixir 5's for 135 quid a pair at Merlin.
    The difference between the R and 5 is the R has tool-less lever adjust whereas you need an allen key to adjust the lever on the 5, it's worth the saving though IMO
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    You can adjust the reach ....... that's about it! Pistons are self-adjusting. Just bought a pair myself. They feel very sharp & solid. Need bedding in though. I've not even started riding the rebuild they are on but they feel loads better than the Juicy 3's on my Trance. How much have you got to spend? I got a F/R pair of Elixir R's with 160mm rotors for £135 from Woolyhat shop. Fantastic value.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Just got a secondset for my other bike, fantastic brake.
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    ....... Actually it looks like the Woolyhat shop are not doing that £135 deal I got on the Elixir R's right now. Unless they are out of stock.

CRC sell Elixir 5's for £135 a pair. I think the only real difference (apart from the colour) is the reach adjuster dial on the brake lever that you don't get on the 5's. I must say I've found this difficult to operate on the R's & I'll probably need a tool to do it anyway! It's really stiff & quite difficult to turn with your fingers.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48330