Skinny jeans and cycling

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Right, in general I have issues with skinny jeans on men. They annoy me. I could rant for days. I hate their unflattering crotch strangling, thigh sapping, ankle gripping look. They have single handedly turned a generation into lady-boys. Throw a pair of Vans on, don't wash for a week and wear a un-ironed shirt and I will day dream about chasing you with rope and a pitch fork. I might add that in those day dreams I will catch you, the skinny jeans you see they prevent you from actually running, what with their tighter than tight grip.*

But this annoyance is only compounded by the skinny jean wearing cyclists.

Who the f*ck would think cycling in a pair of skinny jeans is a good idea?

How do they come to this conclusion? Do you wake up in the morning and think gonna ride a bike its hot, the day is going to get hotter better wear my tightest, least flexible and somewhat heavy jeans.

Urgh.

*Equally, skinny jeans, converse, fitted shirt with top two buttons open on a women and I will day dream about chasing her with rope and my pitch fork length.... but the rest of that is probably better saved for the pub.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Haha, I actually own a pair of over priced skinny jeans. Since I started cycling I can no longer get my thighs into them. I'm currently working on no longer being able to get my calves into them.

I maintain they looked good 2 years ago when I was pencil thin.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have to say, I've never seen a guy in skinny jeans and thought 'hey that looks good'.

Mind you, same applies for girls in skinny jeans.

As for cycling in them, I can only assume they have their saddles super-ultra-high in order to avoid bending their legs as much as possible.

Or they're wearing jeggings
  • DonDaddyD

Or they're wearing jeggings

The word 'jeggings' unsettles me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Mickey Eye
    edited May 2010
    Ooh! Am I allowed to cycle in jeggings?

Need to find a matching denim waistcoat patterned cycling jersey for the full effect.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    Ooh! Am I allowed to cycle in jeggings?

Just. Dont.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I'm reminded of the hipster in that Performance ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4) video.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I'm reminded of the hipster in that Performance ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4) video.
    I was thinking that. Haven't clicked the link yet but i'm assuming it's all about performance :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I recently had to take some jeans back after buying them thinking ohh that size waist will fit then not being able to get them much past my knees so god knows how I would get on with skinny ones.

Yes I overheat in shorts let alone in saddle sore inducing, crotch rubbing skinny jeans.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    A girl with the right ars... - um, I mean physique - in a pair of skinny jeans can look amazing. A man? It's wrong, just plain wrong.

I've noticed a definite style among a certain type of male cyclist in London this year. Skinny jeans rolled up above the ankles, tight fitting checked shirt, crappy beard and little retro cap (plastic rimmed bins optional). All of this is finished off with a super-shiny, chrome-framed, tiny-barred single-speed with candy rims. Nice!
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    I cycle to work and spend 3 days a week in the gym, squatting heavy weights. I now have a whole drawer's worth of jeans that would have no problem closing around my waist, if only they could get that far. Never having been a fan of flares, I find it difficult to find jeans that match my shape.
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Claudio Chiappucci related "Denim" lycra is clearly the way forwards. :shock:

Claudio+Chiappucci.jpg

productimage-picture-carrera-kids-pro-cycling-shorts-kids-sizes-lg-12-md-10-72_jpg_180x180_q85.jpg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    people wear what they want, fashions come and go... it'll be baggy jeans around the knees before you know it

A lot of these students etc wear jeans on a bike as they're just using it as a cheap method of transport.. in my experience from lfgss this exposes them to cycling 'proper' be it track, bmx, road racing etc ....

Don't really have a point as such it's just if we were all the same, well, it'd be a bit shit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Clever Pun wrote:
    in my experience from lfgss this exposes them to cycling 'proper' be it track, bmx, road racing etc ....

Surely experience on lfgss exposes them to militant conformism and 'proper' bitching ;)
  • Mickey Eye
    itsbruce wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    in my experience from lfgss this exposes them to cycling 'proper' be it track, bmx, road racing etc ....

Surely experience on lfgss exposes them to militant conformism and 'proper' bitching ;)
    I thought that was Bikeradar?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    itsbruce wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Awwwwww.

You can cycle in jeggings if you want to.
  • Mickey Eye
    yay! :D
  • Clever Pun
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    itsbruce wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

exactly I'm sure the trixie kids have as little to do with the track riders as the mtb's have to do with roadies

Everyone's a douche about other peoples choices...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    itsbruce wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

exactly I'm sure the trixie kids have as little to do with the track riders as the mtb's have to do with roadies

Would you wear a pair of skinny jeans?
    Food Chain number = 4

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've noticed a definite style among a certain type of male cyclist in London this year. Skinny jeans rolled up above the ankles, tight fitting checked shirt, crappy beard and little retro cap (plastic rimmed bins optional). All of this is finished off with a super-shiny, chrome-framed, tiny-barred single-speed with candy rims.

Yes but they don't need to attract women, they are already in civil partnerships.....right?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    No, I'm too short. However, one of my colleagues - 6'4"ish, built like a greyhound, and yes, rides a fixie around Hoxton - actually looks pretty good in them. He'd look like a scarecrow in baggy jeans. They suit some people, others not - my boss has started showing skinny tendencies, and he's definitely in the latter category I would say, but hey, if it makes him happy...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    OK i feel fully able to comment on this thread. As a skateboarder I vividly remember going around in a pair of purple Blind jeans that were so baggy they hid my puma shoes from view. This trend for skinny jeans can be put down to Jamie Thomas and the Zero skate crews who actually bought girls jeans to skate in.

Either of the above looks ridiculous though.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • DonDaddyD
    The only purple item I conciously have is a tie. Even that I only wear when I'm feeling slightly fruity...
    Food Chain number = 4

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    itsbruce wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Would you wear a pair of skinny jeans?

I don't have much choice most of the time :lol: but no, looking like a golf club aint my thing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    A woman at work said those jeans would be good for me since I only carry a toothpick but I'd have to leave the banana behind. Not sure what she meant by that. :?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol: