New rotors - any benefits to a wavy design?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Folks,

Just about to buy new rotors and was wondering if there was any benefit in wavy rotors over 'round' rotors? Someone mentioned to me that wavy rotors shed mud more easily but is there any truth in this?

To be honest I prefer the look of 'round' rotors but would certainly consider a wavy design if there were mud clearing (or other) benefits to that design.

Be interesting to get a few opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the wave can aid dirt removal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Look awesome and allegedly remove filth

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Wavy designs (especially the likes of ashima) have large vents or holes and so can save a few grams of weight. Personally I've never had problems with mud build up on rotors. And I've heard tell that some very wavy designs are more prone to heat related warping if you really cook them on big downhill style descents. Personally - I'd go for the ones you like the look of unless you have very specific performance needs(ie weight or power).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Tom Barton wrote:
    Wavy designs (especially the likes of ashima) have large vents or holes and so can save a few grams of weight. Personally I've never had problems with mud build up on rotors. And I've heard tell that some very wavy designs are more prone to heat related warping if you really cook them on big downhill style descents. Personally - I'd go for the ones you like the look of unless you have very specific performance needs(ie weight or power).

I would not call ashima wavy. just minimal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    nicklouse wrote:
    Tom Barton wrote:

I would not call ashima wavy. just minimal.

Weight really not an issue for me - nor are big descents really. Was looking at SStar rotors. Was originally going for the vibe design but might consider the wavy one now if it improves mud clearance.

Cheers