Beginner with old bike

konrad7
konrad7 Posts: 7
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm completely new to road cycling, haven't gone any more than 5 miles on a hybrid in the past.

Today I found my father's Claud Butler Dalesman, which is about 25 years old but in pretty good condition.

Do you think I should go get the brakes and stuff checked out at my local bike shop before I use it? Any other things I should do?

The pedals have a sort of leather strapping that holds the feet in place, should i change these for clipping things?

Thanks

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Probably replace tyres and tubes, Both old road bikes I've had needed that. The last one was standing in the sun when suddenly, BANG BANG, as both exploded as they heated up.

Brakepads and cables are also probably shot, headset and bottom bracket might also be if its been standing for a long time.

The toe-clips are fine becasue you can use normal shoes, and are as strong as clip-in pedals.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    konrad7 wrote:
    Do you think I should go get the brakes and stuff checked out at my local bike shop before I use it? Any other things I should do?

Depends what you mean by 'and stuff'! Assuming it was in roadworthy condition when it was last used (how long ago was that?) and has been stored in dry conditions, it probably needs no more than a check over and possibly new tyres.

You could do a lot worse than find a local cycle shop that is interested in old bikes (generally the sort of place that has the parts you might need) and get them to look at it. You can check yourself if everything that is meant to move is moving smoothly and that everything that isn't meant to move isn't!

Clipless pedals are much better than clips with straps but it might be worth just removing the clips and straps for a bit (or just leaving the straps fairly loose) while you get used to riding the bike.
    thel33ter wrote:
    Brakepads and cables are also probably shot, headset and bottom bracket might also be if its been standing for a long time.

Disagree here - they may be knackered but possibly not. I have two 20 year old bikes at mine at the moment - both have original pads and cables and they both are fine. One had a crack in a crown race but it probably had had that since new. I'd have thought that if a headset is likely to randomly get knackered by being left standing, then you really shouldn't touch an old frame at all! A regrease is all that should be needed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • konrad7
    Thanks for the help!

Could I just ask, clipless are the ones where you clip your feet in to them????

You said I should remove the clip and strap, what is the clip?
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    Pedal Retension System and Cleats: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=156
  • konrad7
    It all makes sense now!! Thanks, great help.
  • konrad7
    It hasn't been used for 20 years, and I've found its actually about 30 years old - if that changes anything.