Carbon Frame Question

loukest
loukest Posts: 89
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Evening,

I recently took delivery of a Storck Scenarion frameset and have started building the bike. It's gone remarkably well but I have one problem. When dropping the seatpost into the frame it gets roughly 150mm into the frame and stops. I put a reasonable amout of pressure on it and gave it a twist but it was going nowhere. I looked inside the tube with a torch a noticed what looks like a very small lump on the front of the seat tube, this is certainly what's stopping the tube going any further in. There was also a small scratch level with the bump where I'd tried to twist it in. I'm pretty sure I've not done any damage and that it's just a surface mark or score.

My question is, what should I do about it. I have thought about just cutting the seat post down slightly, save some weight and it would go down far enough but just wondered if anybody had come across this type of problem in the past and if so, is there anything that can be done.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Looking at photos of the Storck Scenario 1.1, there is a definite 'swedge' in the seat tube at that depth (15cm), whereby it becomes narrower... Maybe this is why you can't put the post in further...
    Have you tried contacting the dealer you bought it off?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • loukest
    hopper1 wrote:
    Looking at photos of the Storck Scenario 1.1, there is a definite 'swedge' in the seat tube at that depth (15cm), whereby it becomes narrower... Maybe this is why you can't put the post in further...
    Have you tried contacting the dealer you bought it off?
    \

You're absolutely right, there is but it's certainly not that which is the problem, the seat tube is actually straight if you look down it but that turn is exactly where the little bump is. It's smaller than that, just as if it has a spot.

I did contact the dealer, he told me that it sounds like a small lump of resin that can be sanded off. He suggested to either sand it off or cutt the seat tube down. The dealer was Downland cycles in kent, they've been great so far and very helpful but I live in Reading so would rather not have to take it back, it seems such a tiny thing but it's obviously not quite right.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Cutting the seat tube down is ok, provided that you don't leave less than the 'minimum' required length for insertion.

Or, try wrapping some wet n dry around a stick and see how easily you can remove the 'high spot' of resin.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • loukest
    hopper1 wrote:
    Cutting the seat tube down is ok, provided that you don't leave less than the 'minimum' required length for insertion.

Or, try wrapping some wet n dry around a stick and see how easily you can remove the 'high spot' of resin.

Seems like good advice, I had wanted to try something similar but I was just checking it wasn't a case of me being stupid not to take it back.....
  • evilnailman
    evilnailman Posts: 29
    or use an adjustable reamer to chase out the rough bits - can get it to exactly the right diameter that way.

Any bike shop should have one, or If you can get to Bracknell or Farnborough and want to borrow one drop me a PM.