2600 miles in 1 month, possible??

2600milespoppyappeal
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
I am a 19 yr old first year uni student at york and this august i will be cycling 2600 miles solo and unaided through europe starting in france at limoges, then to monaco, pisa, rome, naples, venice, innsbruk (austria) munich, stuttgart, strasbourg, paris then back to limoges. i plan to do this in 31 days in august, so averaging 100 miles per day with rest days every 5 days or so. This is for charity (royal british legion) and have raised over £1200.
I am being lent a dawes galaxy plus by a local bike shop for the trip, i have just got all my kit at trade prices so it came to £450, so thats rear panniers, handlebar bag, cycle clothes so baselayers, bib shorts, jerseys, gloves, sun glasses, cycle computer, helmet, shoes.
I stil have a tent to get and a sleeping bag (i'm camping most nights) but thats waiting for a little bit.
What i needed help with was a GPS unit, i dont need top of the range stuff but a simple unit which will be able to show a map with a marker of where i am and where i need to go. i am looking for a solar charger for my electric bits like phone, ipod, gps etc so if you guys have any tips or know anything about any of those please do let me know.also if you have any more advise or things that you think i should know please put them up i would be very gratefull as i am not a cyclist, the most i do is cycling to the pub.

if you are interested there is a facebook group, just search: Phil charlesworth cycles 2600 miles for the royal british legion

also the website for the trip is: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/1man1bike2600miles

if you want to contact me please email: philip-charlesworth@hotmail.com

Thank you very much for any feedback and advise, its all very much appreciated

Comments

• markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    edited May 2010
    It should be possible, Mark Beaumont - the man who cycled the world did a similar daily mileage and rode a similar schedule. However he was/ is a real fit man and has spent much of youth riding and riding long distances. He did the Lejog at fifteen. You will need to start distance/ fitness training as soon as you can.

He had to make sure his daily calorific intake was high to avoid wearyness/ burnout... Remember... A 100 miles in a single day may be achievable by most/ some but the same mileage five days on the trot will be something else. Get Mark Beaumonts book he has some good tips on prep, a good photo of the kit he used (and descriptions of various items functionality/ effectiveness - he got through a few trip computers due to rain and water ingress- he has a good fix for this in the book) and the daily grind to get to the 100 miles a day target.
  • cheers, yea, i have ordered his book already, am just waiting for it now. my bike has only just been built for the trip so i havnt managed to go cycling yet but i have been doing alot of running, been doing steady marathons as often as i can, i'm generally pretty fit anyway so i'm hoping i should be alright. on the calorie side my doctor told me i need to be eating about 7000 calories per day... on a student budget i'm not sure how i can manage that.
    thanks very much
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Running fitness and bike fitness are two different things. Really good shorts, with a good chamois cream are a must... Saddle sores effected Mark badly at first and later again when he left his cream at a hotel he stayed at.

I think what you are doing is great mate, if I was your age I would be thinking of doing similar for a good cause such as you are doing. What an adventure, something to remember for the rest of your life and to tell the grandchildren about.

By the way what's the furthest you have ridden in a single ride so far? Have you tried a 100 miler? Find a local pub 100 mile away to ride too??

I would also get a small HD camera to record moving images for history / posterity etc too.
  • yes, i do have a list of creams etc that i need to get before i leave, so suncream aswell.. musnt forget that!

thanks alot, i just wanted to do something worthwhile.

last summer i did a short ride, first day was 157km and the second was just 70km down through france with a backpack on a full suspension MTB, apart from that its just a short cycle to the shops.

i have a camera for stills and i'm hoping to get a small video camera to do like a diary thing and various bits of where i've been so people can see when i'm back
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    markmod wrote:
    It should be possible, Mark Beaumont - the man who cycled the world did a similar daily mileage and rode a similar schedule. However he was/ is a real fit man and has spent much of youth riding and riding long distances. He did the Lejog at fifteen. You will need to start distance/ fitness training as soon as you can.

He had to make sure his daily calorific intake was high to avoid wearyness/ burnout... Remember... A 100 miles in a single day may be achievable by most/ some but the same mileage five days on the trot will be something else. Get Mark Beaumonts book he has some good tips on prep, a good photo of the kit he used (and descriptions of various items functionality/ effectiveness - he got through a few trip computers due to rain and water ingress- he has a good fix for this in the book) and the daily grind to get to the 100 miles a day target.

Having read his book on holiday, it is a damn good read..... but in many respects it is not a book that dwells on cycling... more on the places and people met en route combined with the 100 mile perday demands he put upon himself...his resourcefulness in getting out of stuck is something to be hugely admired...
    By the end Iwas glad it was him that done it and not me tho'... oh and yes, 1 last thought, Michael bleedin nicee nicee jolly jaunts around the world at BBC expense Palin he is not .. thank God.

byt eh way I would think your routing probably has some stiff climbing to contend with....I'd second the thoughts about getting rather fit for purpose... good luck
  • Variado
    Variado Posts: 107
    By the way what's the furthest you have ridden in a single ride so far? Have you tried a 100 miler? Find a local pub 100 mile away to ride too??

+1 to this - doing back-to-back hundred mile days is probably a good idea too.

Probably the most important thing is to be totally comfortable on the bike, and the only way to know that for sure is to go out and do some big rides. Little niggles after an hour can be agony after five. If you're 19 then fitness will come quickly, injury/saddle sores (and boredom!) are likely to be the things that'll really screw up the plan. Sunburn, too...

Good luck, sound's a great thing to do