inner tube valve

slow but steady
slow but steady Posts: 29
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi

Quick problem, when I try to inflate my tyre the pointy thing in the middle of the valve is too long. It lets the air out quicker than it can go in :roll:

Also the pump connector keeps sliding up the valve and popping off :cry:

Can the centre pin bit be pushed down / replaced somehow or do I need a new innertube?

I'm sure someone will understand what I mean!!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    What type of valve is it Presta (non car type) or Schrader (car type).
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If its a presta(thin) your pump might be set up for Schrader(car type)and you'll need to turn the little rubber in the end of your pump around,assuming you have a dual valve pump.
  • Hi

It's a car type valve montain bike wheel and a car type pump.
    It's just the pointy middle bit that's stick out too far!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pic would probably help.
    They normally stick out a tiny bit, and longer could be a faulty tube, but if your pump slips off all the time, I would replace it first as it shouldn't.

Should either screw on or have a clamping system.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pumps usually have a lock system, so you push them on, and flip a lever (normally) to hold them in place.
  • Hi yes pump has a lock that you push down, works fine on my car tyre but just slides off bike one!!

The inner tube is what was supplied with my cube bike.

The prongy bit in the middle seems level with the outside bit that you attach the pump too.

Therefore when you attach the pump it is pressing the middle bit as you would to release the air :?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It sounds like the valve core could be unscrewing itself. You may need a schraeder valve tool to tighten it back up.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    In order to fully explain you may need to post a picture as it is very difficult to diagnose a problem if we can't see it. Sounds like a simple pump and valve incompatibility issue though.

If you're still struggling then give us a shout.