Making my bike shiny again!

pamuzu
pamuzu Posts: 89
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Maybe a mistake however I have a white road bike and desperately want to make it shiny white again!

Can anyone advise on what to clean it with as I can't shift the grease no matter how much fairy liquid!

Thanks

Phil
Phil

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I find that codo grease works best!

Fairy liquid is probably what has taken the shine away
  • pamuzu
    pamuzu Posts: 89
    Ha ha,

I actually went on ebay looking for that! Elbow grease is all wel and good, however is there a product out there for removing the grease?

Thanks
    Phil
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    :D

A degreaser would probably work ie diesel, baby wipes, or Muc Off.

Then to get the sine back try a car wax.

Depends on how the lacquer on your frame is after using fairy liquid.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    +1 for the baby wipes, use them all the time, removes all muck/grease with no effort, even rub them over the chain to remove excess/old lube, a quick rub over afterwards with a clean cloth brings the shine back to the frame, just make sure you use the fragrant free types :)
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    Can i suggest a product, i used to do a bit of car valeting and there is a product that is called poorboys APC ( All purpose cleaner ) its a concentrated product that you mix with water. its used to strip the wax/oil and grease from a car in preparation for detailing and re waxing. Its seriously good stuff and can be used in general cleaning also. it makes muc off look like cheap halfords crap.

can be brought from ebay and car detailing shops and is bio - degradable i believe
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Bike Lust

coats the whole thing in teflon.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    +2 babywipes. My bike is white too and the babywipes do a great job of keeping it looking good. Haven't had any tar spots to deal with yet though...

1967 Engine
  • Ricey77
    Ricey77 Posts: 92
    +3 for baby wipes. Use the Aloe Vera ones for extra softness !! :D