Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Alignment of wheel in fork. OK to remover spacer?

GwareddGwaredd Posts: 251
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Since fitting a wider tyre to my bike, I've noticed that the front wheel is off centre & has, by the looks of things, rubbed the fork slightly on big compressions.

I've just had a tinker with it, & the only way I could see to rectify this problem was to remove the spacer/washer that sits between the cone & locknut. The locknut is now nipped up tight against the cone & it has an even amount of axle protrusion.

The wheel now spins more freely than it ever has done, doesn't even brush the pads when spinning & sits plumb centre in the forks.

Just wanted to check here before I ride it again in case I've done something un-recommended! I can see nothing on the park tools website, only an overhaul guide.

• Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sounds like your disc wasn't aligned properly to the caliper in the first place. You have a dishing problem - rims off-set to left so the rim should be in the middle of the axel rather than to the right as the cogs (cassette) is wider than what's on the other side - it is cones or cones and disc.
  • GwareddGwaredd Posts: 251
    Front wheel dude, hence the mention of the forks. :wink:
  • jpstarjpstar Posts: 561
    Maybe the tyre wasnt set properly, if it was to do with thicker tyres, unless you wheel wasn't correctly dished, it would still be even. Try reseating the tyre again. If nothing, maybe its not dished right.
  • Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Still, front wheels have dish too with the invention of disc brakes (replace what I said before about the cassette with disc) to a lesser degree than the rear though.
    Hmm, it's just a standard Mavic 717 with a 2.35 SB8. What are the spacers for if it's not to align the wheel?
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Did you put the spacer on the other side ie respaced the axle?

The front hub should be 100mm locknut to locknut. You shouldn't remove spacers as you may be forcing the fork further than it has to when doing up the qr.

I believe your problem is dish and brake set up.
    OK, problem sorted. I measured the hub & it was thereabouts 100mm, but the spacer on the disc side was thinner than the non disc side (though not enough so I could just swap them over) so I've sourced a thicker spacer for the disc side & a thinner one for the non disc side.

This has pushed the wheel across just enough to centre it perfectly whilst maintaining the 100mm locknut to locknut. I had to shim my XT 4 pot calliper across to suit, but that was no biggie.

Wheel runs smooth & centre now, & still no brake chafe (although the 1st ride may alter this - you know what XT 4 pots can be like) Thankfully the rear is spot on!

Cheers for your guidance today guys. 1 problem down, 47 to go :wink:
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    Check also that the beads on the tyre are evenly protruding from the rim on both sides. Kenda are so soft that its easy to get them in unevenly.

but also measure the rim to the fork on both sides to see if this is the same or not.
  • anjsanjs Posts: 486
    Whats the max tyre width for the 717 rims?
    No idea on max width, but it fits fine & the tyre is seated nicely.

Had a look on my mates new Anthem X1 last night, & the front wheel, to my eye, is not centred & would be even more noticeable with a wide tyre on it, so I think I'm going to stop worrying so much if it's acceptable on a £2750 bike!