Fuji, Trek, Scott or something else

Jonnyhotfoot
Jonnyhotfoot Posts: 5
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

Im just about to buy my first road bike and after speaking to a couple of LBS I have come up with these three and really cannot choose between them.

I like them all and would be happy with any of them. I do like the Fuji and it is the cheapest but I think the Trek would be my first choice. At the same time the scott looks like it is the best equiped.

Fuji Roubaix 2.0 2010 Road Bike -£699.99
Trek 1.5 Compact 2010 Road Bike - £774.00
Scott Speedster S30 27 2010 Road Bike - £799.99

Here is a like to show the bikes in comparison

http://www.evanscycles.com/products-com ... 7Cec020704

I do plan to use the bike for triathlons so also need to get a helmet, pedals, shoes and maybe a trisuit. Did I mention that I have only got a £1,000.00 to spend
Im also stuck with the Evans product range because of my work cycle programme

I will be very greatful for any help.

Thanks

Comments

• thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    When I bought my first road bike I had the choice in the same price point as you between some big brand names but went for a cube peloton mainly because the spec for the money was much better. In the same bracket I got an external bearing bottom bracket, shimano 105 groupset and fulcrum racing 7s against what was mainly an alex rims or shimano 500 wheels, tiagra/sora groupsets.

Looking at those I would say you are getting less component spec from the trek and the fuji is pushing it over the speedster. But it's different for everyone. Some prefer checking for clearance on mudguards and racks and it is always worth investing in a good frame (hence why you can't go wrong with any of them really).

I will be honest with you I have replaced the drivetrain thoughout my bike for Ultegra now and the megaexo crank that you get on the fuji I replaced first (had the same on mine) as it was pretty shocking in terms of quality with teeth breaking off after about 700-900 miles usage. I replaced both of the chainrings before finally upgrading the whole set for an ultegra set.

Still going stong though a few years on and very happy I made that choice.

If it was me I would also look at these two same sort of price point but decent spec the specialized having a full shimano groupset as does the colnago but with an FSA crank:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec019407
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/col ... e-ec017301
  • gareth2134
    gareth2134 Posts: 198
    Hi,

Im just about to buy my first road bike and after speaking to a couple of LBS I have come up with these three and really cannot choose between them.

I like them all and would be happy with any of them. I do like the Fuji and it is the cheapest but I think the Trek would be my first choice. At the same time the scott looks like it is the best equiped.

I do plan to use the bike for triathlons so also need to get a helmet, pedals, shoes and maybe a trisuit. Did I mention that I have only got a £1,000.00 to spend

Thanks
    Ok well usually if someone asks me what bike to go fo i would normally say TREK or Scott but I think of the 3 you have listed and for that price you just can't go wrong with the roubaix its kitted out in shimano and not only that I know a few ppl who have that same model and love it. It's a strong design and rides lovely.

Keep us updated
  • gareth2134
    Hi,

Thanks
    Ok well usually if someone asks me what bike to go fo i would normally say TREK or Scott but I think of the 3 you have listed and for that price you just can't go wrong with the roubaix its kitted out in shimano and not only that I know a few ppl who have that same model and love it. It's a strong design and rides lovely.

Keep us updated
  • gareth2134
    Hi,

Thanks

Keep us updated
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    Trek has Carbon Forks and Seatpost.

Good bike, Love mine.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • sherbs
    sherbs Posts: 37
    I bought a Fuji Roubaix 2.0 a few weeks back from Evans, im very pleased with the bike, it rides very nice indeed and has a decent enough spec for the price!!

if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch!!

sherbs
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    The geometry of the Fuji looks slightly more racier than the Trek or Scott, which may or may not be a factor for you.

The Scott you link to is a triple which may be unnecessary if your intended use is triathalons.

IIRC the C2W scheme only applies to the original recommended retail price not the sale price, so that may influence your purchase decision.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Downwardi wrote:
    Trek has Carbon Forks and Seatpost.

Good bike, Love mine.

All of them have the carbon forks right?
  • s1lko
    s1lko Posts: 39
    I took both the Fuji and the Trek for a test ride today, They are very different in their geometry - the Fuji's definitely 'racier'.

If comfort matters to you, I'd pick the Trek, I had to cut the Fuji ride short because it didn't work for me at all.

Have you considered the Felt F95 or Cannondale CAAD8?
  • s1lko - your info has been very helpful and I’m off on Saturday to test ride the three bikes. I’m still undecided but I’m sure a test ride will sort that out.

I’m surprised that no one has made a comment on the Scott. Maybe is my lack of knowledge showing but I would of thought the 105 components would of at least generated a little debate.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies.

My next minefield is getting all of the other gear. I have got a £300 budget and I need everything. Shoes, Pedals, Helmet, Trisuit, other clothing ect

Any recommendations!!