Broken Tora's best place to get fix?

Tyneamite
Tyneamite Posts: 380
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Ok Ladies and Gents, bought a pair of Rock Shox Tora sl 09's about 5-7 months ago,
I have ridden apporx 300-400 miles on them on bridleways etc... and now there bouncing all the time,
Even preloaded turned up and both tortoise and rabbit settings and with lock on, there is very little differance between the lock on and off............am I just being retarded, in assuming wiht the lock on there should be no movement at all in the forks?
Also do you get any kinda guarntee with bike bits, with them breaking so fast I am a little disappointed in Rock shox,

Annoying bit is I have just planned a weekends camping and trail riding in Keilder, is ther any kinda temp fix I can do or what?
A bike is only as good as the rider!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The forks is designed to move 10-20mm when locked out. It also has a blow off valve for big hits.

Have you read the instructions? It doesn't seem you know what the adjusters do.

The fork is under guarantee from the retailer.

Download the instructions if you don't have them.
  • Tyneamite
    I have had the instructions m8, I read them and I read about the blow off valve etc....
    I know there is something not right with the forks, when I got them, they did have that slight little movement....as suggested and meantoned, BUt now when i stand up on my bike, to get the leg movement for hills etc... the forks actually move down to the same marks on the bike, as it would if the pop was off,
    Is there a way of resetting the blowout valve etc... could I have damaged this?
    Little destressing as its happened when the weather is getting better,
    Also IF! they ahve to go back to company has anyone got an Idea waht wolleyhatshop is like taking returns? I actually got the forks on September 24th, they were not fitted to the bike until Novemeber the 14th
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like a warranty job. Contact who ever you bought them off and they should arrange a replacement or a return with the distributer Fishers. Pretty sure they come with a 2 year warranty so you should be fine.

I had a warranty issue with my Toras a few months ago and Fishers had them fixed and back to me in under a week. Arranged through the retailer.

Cheers

• supersonic
    Have the forks been upside down? Also can you get full travel?
  • Tyneamite
    They have never been upside down as such....apart from maybe when i ahve had a puncture and I have flipped my bike over to fix it,
    I "assume" I get full travel, I mean when the bike is stationary the forks are held up and when i sit onit, its not constantly down, just when i try to stand on bike to get more speed..............sorry if my explinaations are bizzarre.I am totally clueless with this stuff, If they do indeed have to go back to the store, the bike will be going into my local bike shop to get them taken off.....thts how clueless I am lol
    The manual says something about checking correct torqe after every ride etc... How do I do this, I am not ware I have done this yet.....there is a bolt under 1 of the legs, should I play wwith this?
  • supersonic
    Has the fork ever compressed all the travel?
  • Tyneamite
    No Sonic.....it has NEVER compressed all the travel... I mean if you want me to measure to be exact i can do....but other that that i wuold say it travels about 70-80 mil up the fork
  • supersonic
    Possibly a leaky damper.

Press the fork 20 times through its travel as hard as you can. Now turn the lockout on. Press down slowly. Does it lock now?
  • Tyneamite
    No mate, didnt work, all it done was make a funny squishy squelchy noise...worse than normal actually lol
  • supersonic
    Time to go back then.
  • Tyneamite
    Ok guys,
    Thanks for all your help and input,
    As a last resort I gotta pick some new brake pads up for the back break tomrrow.....I will take the bike with me and and ask the "expert" in the shop to have a look ad tell me whats wrong.....weather or not I am usless/paranoid etc......or if they are faulty and gotta go back
  • Tyneamite
    Ok Gents, took them to my local bike shop today...and it was confirmed they surely are faulty indeed,
    SO look slike I am gunna be without a bike for a few weeks when the nice weather hits us :cry::cry::cry:

Ulness I go for plan 2 and buy a boardman pro :oops: :P :P