Cable rub causing Carbon damage

IronHorse100
IronHorse100 Posts: 302
edited May 2010 in Workshop
I'm getting wear marks and grazes on the lacquer of my new carbon bike from cable rub - this is on the head tube where the brake and gear cables rub when turning the bars. It's worse when bits of grit and dirt get in between.

What do people do to protect against this?

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Some heli tape like this http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.ph ... 4020&rs=gb

Or some kind of thick sticker or frame protection stickers.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    If you're stooped for cash, just buy some electrical cash.
    Otherwise you can get some dedicated stickers.
    I've found out previously that carbon patches don't always stick that well (they eventually 'unpeel'.

That 3M clear stuff works great.
    What cables are causing the trouble?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    This is my pet hate with bikes.

If somebody made a car where you had to stick gaffer tape over the bodywork to prevent the paint being rubbed away by some normal function of the vehicle they would be told where to shove it, yet we cyclists accept it without a murmer.

So any manufacturers reading this, STICK SOME FECKING CABLE GUIDES ON TO STOP IT HAPPENING, it won't bankrupt you :evil:
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Smokin Joe wrote:

If somebody made a car where you had to stick gaffer tape over the bodywork to prevent the paint being rubbed away by some normal function of the vehicle they would be told where to shove it, yet we cyclists accept it without a murmer.

So any manufacturers reading this, STICK SOME FECKING CABLE GUIDES ON TO STOP IT HAPPENING, it won't bankrupt you :evil:
    :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Smokin Joe wrote:

boardmans route through the head tube. problem solved. nice little piece of unique design stolen from the head of their designer :wink:
  • Bon_Jovi
    Bon_Jovi Posts: 18
    I bought the veloskin package, which is nothing but some pre-cut roll of the 3M clear film. You can get much cheaper versions - for example: http://www.empireclearshield.com/site/1 ... ct/PPFbike

Of course, the cheapest way is to just buy a roll of 3M clear film, and cutting it yourself. You need to invest some time applying the film, making sure it is all perfect, but it is worth it.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Okay it has to be said but Halfords do a pack of stickers that work very well :shock: the pack comes with a chainstay protector as an added bonus.

If the frame has some damage then they have carbon look stickers which will cover it up but i went down the clear sticker road and to be honest they have a slight yellow tinge when placed on a white frame :( but that said they still do the job of protection very well.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • biggayal
    biggayal Posts: 35
    Try the lizard skin frame patches, you can get them clear or carbon look
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Helicopter Tape. Make sure it's the outdoor version that holds up to UV rays. Clear, comes in different widths & lengths, not too expensive and you can use it on any part of your bike you want to protect.
  • stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    these are good and look nice too

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... vers-34704

Simon
  • sunburntknees
    sunburntknees Posts: 272
    Lazarus wrote:
    Okay it has to be said but Halfords do a pack of stickers that work very well :shock: the pack comes with a chainstay protector as an added bonus.

If the frame has some damage then they have carbon look stickers which will cover it up but i went down the clear sticker road and to be honest they have a slight yellow tinge when placed on a white frame :( but that said they still do the job of protection very well.

+1

Think they're only £5 or so for a pack. Gives you enough stickers to cover the important bits with a couple of spares. There some stickers sets availablel that go for around £18...ouch!
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Too right! Or why don't they put the guides on the headtube as per Cannondale for example?
    Mens agitat molem
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Coach H
    edited May 2010
    Double Post. It wasn't me, honest!!
  • Coach H
    edited May 2010
    Tripple Post. It wasn't me, honest!!
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Hey three good bits of advice above! Don't bother with the carbon fibre frame protector, mine started peeling off, or so I thought after about a month. It was actually the carbon fibre top layer of the sticker coming away from the adhesive backing... Not good!!!

I reckon the best way to go is to get the 3m clear, it's what the best bike shops use... So it must be good. I reckon frame protector is best if it's hardly visible and just 'protects the frame'. I do understand the bling, and extra protection the chainstay covers can give an mtb but feel they just look kinda wrong on a road bike, don't you?