I'm looking for a good BMX for less than £300 help

Rob.Chapman
Rob.Chapman Posts: 65
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a good BMX but I don't know where to start. I've been in DH/dirt jumping for about 6 months so I'm not a complete beginner. I don't know anything about BMX brands so can you make some suggestions. I'd rather get a better second hand bike than a new not as good bike btw.

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    If you can stretch the budget a little, this is a great beginner BMX. Has the same frame as the mor expensive £700ish one.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50744
  • Rob.Chapman
    Thanks looks good I'll have to do a bit more saving though
  • Rob.Chapman
    All very nice but which one is best?
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    The Funday :wink:
  • Rob.Chapman
    I'll probs get one in a couple of months when I've got the money. It would look sick with yellow rims aswell
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Funday is pretty poor - Hi Tensile steel frame? You need to be looking at FULL cromoly at this price, including forks. Same for the Eastern - the Blank however looks the ticket.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Best value completes are the new Amity ones, £389 for a decent spec full cro-mo bike.
    http://www.amitybikeco.com/zenta/zenta.html

Way better than any of those above, 23lb for that price is unreal! My custom weighs 25lb & that's with all top quality parts.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You might get a BMX-shaped object for £300 but something you can actually use and enjoy will cost a lot more.

Hi-ten BMX frames feel dead and lifeless and you will probably be looking at £250-£300 for a decent frame + £100 for some Cro-mo forks, £150 for some reasonable wheels and a couple of 100 to finish it off - say £700-750.

Of course this is a sh*tload of money for a rigid bike with no gears or brakes and my advice would be to help/hang out at your local jumps/park and meet some BMXrs. They tend to change parts quicker than I change my socks and once you start trading you will soon be able to build up a decent bike.
  • Rob.Chapman
    .blitz wrote:
    You might get a BMX-shaped object for £300 but something you can actually use and enjoy will cost a lot more.

Hi-ten BMX frames feel dead and lifeless and you will probably be looking at £250-£300 for a decent frame + £100 for some Cro-mo forks, £150 for some reasonable wheels and a couple of 100 to finish it off - say £700-750.

Of course this is a sh*tload of money for a rigid bike with no gears or brakes and my advice would be to help/hang out at your local jumps/park and meet some BMXrs. They tend to change parts quicker than I change my socks and once you start trading you will soon be able to build up a decent bike.

I had loads of fun on my mates 80 quid BMX so I don't need a really good one. I also already have a high spec 4x bike. I appreciate where your coming from but I really don't need to spend £700.
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    this is what i do 4x on and i have no problams with it been thrashing it for about a year now dirt jumps street and 4x no problams
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    I quite like the look of these 24" bmx's, as the normal ones are just too small for me (i'm nearly six and a half foot tall). I've had a liitle browse on ebay and pinkbike but nothing much gets turned up at the cheaper end of the market. Does anyone have a link to either another market place, or even just some info/manufacturers/specs etc... cheers.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz