prescription glasses?

nipper9
nipper9 Posts: 120
edited May 2010 in MTB general
hi all
i read on here a few weeks ago ( have searched to no avail ! ) that you can get mtb glasses with inserts to put prescription lenses in?
also someone added to the topic where to send the inserts to have lenses put in?

please help needed badly

cheers paul
" PERSEVERE B4 U DISAPPEAR "

specialized rockhopper sl comp 2010
specialized rockhopper comp 2003?
trek 800 antelope 1993
raliegh chopper mk2 1976
raliegh tomahawk 1973
raliegh budgie

Comments

• mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    have a word with your local opticians. i had lenses put in my oakleys a couple of years ago, but they were a full frame
  • ajmooseman
    ajmooseman Posts: 32
    Nipper

try

www.rxsport.co.uk
  • chortlon-sim
    chortlon-sim Posts: 135
    Think you're talking about one of my posts:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=

I'm getting a prescription downgrade on Oakleys (Vision Express will do it)...
  • simon2names
    simon2names Posts: 56
    I toyed with the idea of inserts for glasses a few years ago and got pointed in the direction of optilabs - they do prescription sports glasses. Have a google search for them, they were brilliantly quick, you just fill in your eye details online and i had my glasses about 5 days later. They have lasted about 3 years now, including 2 snowboarding holidays. Absolutely brilliant and only marginally more expensive than the inserts... and look way cooler! 8) Which is the important thing!
    Simon
  • shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    Have a look at these........

http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk/product_ ... t=5&cat2=1

I have some, it cost me a further £15 for my perscription to be put into the inserts.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I went looking at the glasses solution ended up with throw away contacts cheap at £1 a day for riding. And if you crash your not gonna smash to crap a few hundred sobs of glasses.
    And even if they have a warrenty will take a fair few days to get sorted keeping you off your bike for a bit.
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    +1 on the contacts. Buy them cheap on line (30 pairs for £20 or so) then I just use these:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=138324

£3.95 for some bolle specs which are great at keeping fog clear. cheap, cheerful and best combination I have found
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    I went for a pair of Oakley straightjackets - prescription polarised lenses. I wanted something I could use for all occasions whether on my bike or on the beach and they fit the bill perfectly. Had to sell a kidney to pay for them mind...
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    +1 for lenses,

I used to wear plastic lensed specs for mtb and squash years ago but lenses have really made sports previously unavailable to me (Tae Kwon do) available and made sport sI already did an absolute joy.

I even swim in my contacts, unless you're really against lenses ( I was for years until beaten into it) I'd give them ago. If your prescription works with dailies so much the better but Monthlies are great to (always carry a spare set though, just in case but I've never lost a lense) but please give them a whirl.

£30 for 3 months isn't too bad either (a bit more with solutions etc)

Best of luck

T1b