Charity Rides & Sponsorship

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited May 2010 in MTB general
In memory of a departed loved one, who died all too young from Heart Disease, I am riding a short BHF ride this year. Like many other cyclists this year no doubt, I am taking part in a British Heart Foundation charity ride soon, but for all my efforts, I am finding it quite hard to find people to donate a few quid each and sponsor me to do it.

Anyone got any bright ideas for finding donations, preferably online ones using 'JustGiving'?

How do other charity riders manage to do it, without spamming everyone?

Kurt, rattling his collection tin.
http://www.justgiving.com/KonaKurtTheChaste

Comments

• reyrol
    reyrol Posts: 38
    Very difficult, i am riding the bhf 'over the edge' event on Sunday but have used up a lot of sponsorship potential after running half marathons over a period of twenty years, most of which had a charity theme.

Thirty miles on a bike dosn' seem like a big achevement to ask long suffering friends & relatives to contribute to.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    At least you're riding for a pretty uncontroversial charity, trouble is every one is feeling a tad strapped at the moment. I've got afriend who's doing a much bigger cycling event, trouble is the charity he's selected is fine but not something I consider to be particularly important in the grand scheme of things. I've no issue with other people supporting this group if that's what they want to do, it's just not the top of my personal list of donation priorities. Makes it very difficult with it being a close friend.

Dilemas, dilemas.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • KonaKurt
    reyrol wrote:
    Thirty miles on a bike dosn' seem like a big achevement to ask long suffering friends & relatives to contribute to.

It may 'only' be 30 miles to a healthy rider, but to an asthmatic like me, who is currently having one of his worst years for asthma since he was a child (with many a good ride so far being ruined by being unable to breathe properly!) trust me my friend, it WILL be a challenge for me to complete it.

But for all those who are much less able then I am, and for the BHF - come rain, shine or whatever trouble is thrown at me, finish it in a fast time I WILL! :o)

Good luck in your own charity ride, and remember on the day who you are doing it for :o)

KK.
  • KonaKurt
    StumpyJohn - Yes I know what you mean about other people's charity choices. Although I guess that everyone is different and has different priorities in life.

The problem I think is that we have almost entered into a era of 'charity culture' where by the word 'charity' is being used to finance a wide range of personal ambitions, beleifs and lifestyles.

Being a little old fashioned and down to earth, I think that the most important 'real' charities that deserve support, are those directly involved in medical science - science which the VAST majority of us all, wil at some point or other come to depend heavily on when serious illness or even death knocks on our door....!

After all, without good health, what else matters?

God Bless
    KK.