What AM wheelset for under £300?

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Basically, i'm looking for an AM wheelset that can take a good beating (GT red/black, inners XC route etc) but aren't too heavy. I've been looking at hope hoops and came to the conclusion that the pro II on stans 335 seems like a good combo for this, the flow being a little chunky for what i want. I'm just wondering if there's anything better out there for £300 or less? I was looking at mavic/sun ringle/superstar/nuke proof/wtb stuff and i'm not too sure what's what.

I've had good experience with hope gear and know they're a fairly solid choice, but some people don't like them, so what about the competitors? I'd ideally be looking for cartridge bearing hubs, as i can't be arsed with faffing about with loose ball bearings and all this cup and cone bollocks anymore!

cheers.
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    dt swiss. i'm not sure on the prices but the new easton wheels look great
  • ilovedirt
    Anything specific? I don't really know anything about DT swiss components!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • scoob113
    scoob113 Posts: 80
    Well, having just been through this - I've gone for Stans 355 rims on Hope Hubs. Good value, and can run normal tyres without tubes much easier aswell than I found on Mavic 317's. Lighter than 317's too on the Hubs I had. Have had a few hours so far an no probs.
    Can recommend them.
  • ilovedirt
    cheers for that!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    Aren't the 355s a bit lightweight for AM duties? I'm going for Mavic XM719s on Pro II hubs on my new bike. Should stike a decent balance between strength and lightness.
  • ilovedirt
    i hear the 335's are designed for XC/AM and the flow for freeride?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Hope Hoops are definatly the way to go.

I loose count of all the Hopes at GT. Hubs can take a beating (just as well since it gets quite rocky) and so can the rims provided you get the right ones.

DT Swiss is normally a good shout but for this price they aint gonna survive Inners or Glentress unless you are really smooth and careful
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    335s are way too light for am and the flow is more of a trail/am rime and deffo not a freeride rim.

or a dt ex5.1d/ex500, ive just sold my hope hoops with these and never touched them, very good wheels,

or could try a hope pro2 with mavic xm rims if you want bit lighter
  • ilovedirt
    hmm ok then, could be a good alternative to the stans as they seem to be sold out EVERYWHERE right now!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Well i just bought a set of pro II's on DT EX500's for just shy of £230 on winstanleys, a good deal i think, as they're £30 more on CRC. If i was more patient, i'd have waited for the flows, but i don't really fancy waiting that long! The DT's should be fine for what i ride anyway.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • humdinger
    humdinger Posts: 5
    I currently own a set of 355s on Pro2 SPs which are considerably stiffer than my old pro2s on 355s. They're very light, very stiff and take a pretty heavy pounding and are still running true. Currently £263 on Winstanleys.
    I also run CK ISO hubs on Flow rims and they are stiffer than the 355s and easily constitute a light FR rim, but to be honest only worth the extra weight over the 355s if you're gonna be running big volume tires and continually hammering the cr@p out of them. The 355s are more than enough for 99% of UK trail riding. If u want a compromise between the two, why not Pro2 SPs on Arch rims?
    Euan Holmes
  • humdinger
    humdinger Posts: 5
    I currently own a set of 355s on Pro2 SPs which are considerably stiffer than my old pro2s on 355s. They're very light, very stiff and take a pretty heavy pounding and are still running true. Currently £263 on Winstanleys.
    I also run CK ISO hubs on Flow rims and they are stiffer than the 355s and easily constitute a light FR rim, but to be honest only worth the extra weight over the 355s if you're gonna be running big volume tires and continually hammering the cr@p out of them. The 355s are more than enough for 99% of UK trail riding. If u want a compromise between the two, why not Pro2 SPs on Arch rims?
    Euan Holmes
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd go for something a bit sturdier than 355s myself. Hey, I did :) Flows are 470g so it's only about a hundred gram penalty per wheel over 355s (I thought 355s weighed 355g? Stans say 350-380g, that's weird). That's 100g in the worst place of course but still.

I weighed it up for ages but eventually decided 355s were probably weaker than I wanted, Arches would probably be fine but Flows aren't much heavier than Archs and have strong advantages, not just strength but a wider platform too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    I've seen a few comments about weight on the wheels. Is 100g on the wheels really that important....in a real world scenario?

and I guess a direct question would be: After you've spent a couple/few hundred quid on respectable wheels compared to your factory wheels....was it really worth the money invested?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    100g in one hit may not look like much. 100g off 20 bike components and it is 4.5lbs :wink:
  • If you're gonna go Hope Hoops as in the set from Hope then I'd defo recommend the Flows on Pro2's, even though they are heavier than the 355s, they are still lighter than the DT Swiss & Mavic equivalents, so still worth a look.

Otherwise I'd look at the Mavic 719s or the Arch's.

HTHs :D
  • I bought the Hope Hoops/Stan's ZTR Flow's for my Specialized Pitch a few months ago and have been extremely please with them. They're damn light for what they are, don't get the XC 355 one's if you're doing AM riding, you may save weight but you'll be sacrificing strength and stiffness when hitting the hard stuff.

Can't recommend the Flow's enough, me and my riding buddy both run them front and back. Setting up tubeless was easy peasy too. Get them from WheelPro, he's a decent bloke.