The tyre choice I'm going to go for (I think)

Oxygen Thief
Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
been reading the forums, reviews/auggestions and general tyre choice options on the net and I think I've come up with what I'm goign to go for. Basically looking for you to tell me whether it'll work for my needs etc? I am a noob ya see! :-)

I ride to work 5 times a week, 4miles e/w on roads. And then at weekend my bike will be used for XC and trails.

Right... On the front I was going to go with a Kenda Nevegal. Cheap, looks grippy so my fornt end don't wash on me at weekends. probably not the best for speed but can deal witht aht for 8miels per day?!

Back... A continental speedking??? Not so sure on this one? Was thinking it's grippy enough and will help on the road as not as grippy as a nevegal, plus drive through back wheel so this needs to be less grippy. On the trails I'm not as bothered about back sliding out?

Am I close to having a workable tyre selection?

Cheers

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You have obviously thought about it but I would choose something completely different.

My choice would be a Minion on the front and a Holy Roller on the back.

IME the Minion rolls better than Nevegals and the Holy Rollers very fast rolling and surprisingly grippy.

An alternative to Holy Rollers are Small Block 8's

Or also think about a pair of Maxxis Ignitors, fast rolling but very grippy
  • I've also read alot of comments that say the Speed king wears quickly, so I'd imagine that 8 miles a day on tarmac will kill it in no time?
  • Just to add, couldn't you get a set of slicks for the week and some nice trail tyres for the weekends?
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cool, cheers guys. I'll have a look into those ones you have named. Bound to be better than my options. Was just trying to see if I'd got the theory behind it ok.

Cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a Vertical Pro on the back.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Just to add, couldn't you get a set of slicks for the week and some nice trail tyres for the weekends?

Meant to mention in the OP, was wanting to do this but I'm saving as I'm moving back to Wales in a couple of months and need all the coin I can get for the move so that's why I'm looking at a compromise of best of both worlds reallly. :-(
  • Oxygen Thief
    Liking the look on the Maxxis Ignitors, the Vertical Pro and the Minnion... Decisions!
  • 70a ignitors. Fast rolling on Tarmac, had them on my GT and used to commute on it. The 70a is hard wearing so it won't destroy them.

Grippy on trails too and light without sacrificing puncture protection.

That's my opinion anyways :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either way, get some cheap wheels and slicks for the road use to save your decent tyres......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Decision made: Minnion on the front with a Vertical pro on the back. These tyres are 2.35 and 2.3. Will my rim take that? It currently has the stock 2.2's on them?
  • Oxygen Thief
    Either way, get some cheap wheels and slicks for the road use to save your decent tyres......

Simon

How cheap we talking please mate?
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333

Simon

How cheap we talking please mate?

Once you've factored in another set of disc rotors, and another cassette, it adds up to quite a bit actually. I wouldn't buy two wheels and swap between them - much more expensive than just alternating tyres. I'd put something shallow treaded on the back. Panaracer Razer MXs roll well on tarmac in my experience.
  • Oxygen Thief
    You won't find any disc rotars on my shitty Vulcan! haha. I'd alternate tyres, but i don't evenr really want to do that. I want just the two for now for my commute and my weekend XC. It should only be for about three months or so whilst I move and start my new job etc.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Decision made: Minnion on the front with a Vertical pro on the back. These tyres are 2.35 and 2.3. Will my rim take that? It currently has the stock 2.2's on them?

Shouldn't be a problem, they both come up slightly small anyway IME
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cheers mate