Another Bike Insurance Question

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Morning all

First time poster

Ive recently bought a 2nd hand Rockhopper for commuting to work.

Despite only paying £400 for it, ive had two other mountain bikes stolen years ago (which put me off biking for a lot of years), so I would like to get the bike insured.

Ive bought two (Kryptonite cable and D lock) decent locks for it, and was planning on securing it in our parking area at the back of the house. The parking area currently stores two cars, and is secured by locked gates. I was planning on attaching a Kryptonite Anchor point to one of the concrete fence posts or the concrete floor, and using this is secure the bike.

However, both ETA and Evans have said that the bike must be kept indoors, an option which my Wife is refusing to entertain. This seems to be a common problem with most bike insurance.

What are my options ? can I add it to home insurance is its going to be kept outside all the time ?

Im pretty happy with the security of the parking area. Even if someone decided to have a go at nicking the bike, they would struggle to get any sort of leverage as there will be a 1.5 tonne car parked pretty close next to it. Plus they would have to carry it out over a 6.5 foot gate. However, having had two bikes nicked in the past, I really want some insurance as well.

cheers

DCR

Comments

• Variance
    Variance Posts: 130
    Should be no problem adding it to your home contents policy. They usually cover bikes up to £500. It would be a good idea to phone them to make sure cover is still in place if its kept outside
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Even if someone decided to have a go at nicking the bike, they would struggle to get any sort of leverage as there will be a 1.5 tonne car parked pretty close next to it. Plus they would have to carry it out over a 6.5 foot gate.

if they want it they will take it.

have a look in the stolen section for some stories.
    eg
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12692768
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12693101

whatever you do make sure you read all the small print and comply with all of it or you may as well not bother.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    Jeez, those stories are pretty hardcore.

Can understand the effort for the 2nd guys bikes, but the first one !?!?

I foned Endsleigh at lunchtime and the chap i spoke to assured me that having it secured in the parking area for no longer than 24 hrs would be fine. As long as i use an approved lock (which i now have) and its secured to an immovable object (which it will be).

Im calling back on Friday, so will ask more/double check details then

Cheers

DCR
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    On my home contents insurance, my bike is covered if it's locked with any lock to any immovable object. So you might want to look into standard contents insurance as it tends to be less specific than bike only insurance.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DCR00
    Well ive managed to clear enough space under the stairs to store the bike. Will prob need the wheels taking off each time; a small price to pay for security.

All i have to do now is convince the Wife that its a good idea....