Symptom of a worn cassette?

Brewer
Brewer Posts: 45
edited May 2010 in Workshop
I can't work out how to search this forum so sorry for repeating a thread.
Replaced my 4th chain yesterday, nearly 5000 miles on the bike in total. Chain slips at very high pedal pressure - steep banks in high gears. Feels like it slides over teeth on cassette rather than jumping across sprockets. Must be a worn cassette, how can I double check?
Thanks

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you are on your 4th chain and it has done 5000 miles there is no need to check. If it slips then the cassette is worn out. Get a new one before it starts to damage the chain.
    The only way you can check is by comparing the teeth with a new one.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Totally agree with first reply! You should count yourself lucky you've got 3 chains to a cassette and replace the cassette!
  • Brewer
    Brewer Posts: 45
    Thanks folks.
    I knew it must wear out eventually. Not as expensive to replace as I'd been lead to believe. Elsewhere on this forum, somone has a chain and cassette which have done 7000 miles together wirthout wearing. Must go back and find out which make they were.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Brewer wrote:
    Thanks folks.
    I knew it must wear out eventually. Not as expensive to replace as I'd been lead to believe. Elsewhere on this forum, somone has a chain and cassette which have done 7000 miles together wirthout wearing. Must go back and find out which make they were.

This would mean the chain and cassette are both worn - they've worn 'into' one another.
    Cycling weakly
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's the alternative strategy; keep the chain and cassette together till they both wear out. It might make financial sense if it didn't also mean that the chainrings are knackered too by then.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    sometimes when you compare the teeth on a new cassette with an old cassette its hard to tell the difference because of the funny shapes and cutouts on the teeth that aid shifting, my old Sram PG950 cassette that had done 6800 miles didnt look much different to the brand new replacement so i tried it with a new chain and within a mile the chain was slipping on two speeds so that proved that it was worn even if it looked ok.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yup, my experience too. Replaced the chain on son's mtb, confident that the cassette looked OK. When applying any power to the pedals though, the new chain hopped about like a Lib Dem in a hung parliament!

New cassette and all is purring nicely once again.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I foolishly replaced my chain on my workhouse, 30 year old Reynolds 351 steel commuter. It was probably the original chain, as this (woman's) bike had hardly been used.

The result was the new chain skipped on the cassette and I had to replace that as well. I would have been more sensible to wear the whole lot out, as I once did on a hybrid commuter. Then I had so knackered everything that the chain slipped going up the ramp of the office carpark.

Obviously, this approach is for a workhorse/ all-weather commuter which takes a hammering. No for the road bikes, where no expense is spared.