Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Running XT wheelset tubeless

bluedavebluedave Posts: 152
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I am familiar with stans and DT conversion kits and running tubeless with standard tyres but I have used a specific tubeless rim.

I have XT wheels (M775) which are UST rims that come with valve only. To run tubeless do I:

1. Use only valve with a UST tyre
2. as above with sealant
3. Include a rim strip (like stans) or "yellow tape" with sealant

I have found conflicting information and I was hoping someone could shed some light.

The wheelset will be used for XC racing.

Thanks in advance
Dave

• stumpyjonstumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I have those wheels and have just gone back to tubes. I ran Maxxis ignitors with them. I found I needed sealent to keep them up but you don't need a rim strip. Main reason I went back to tubes was of the mess when I wanted to change tyres. Didn't have a ny problems with the actual tubeless set up, just the mess factor.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bluedavebluedave Posts: 152
    Thanks for your reply.

I take it you used the LUST version ignitors?
  • toastytoasty Posts: 2,598
    I've had a set of XT factory wheels, they were very easy to get going tubeless to be honest. I ran a set of Specialized Captain 2Bliss, Fast Traks and 2.1" UST Nevegals. With all I just put the valve stem in, along with a small amount of sealant.

Whether the sealant is "needed" or not wasn't really an issue, it gives you tyres that can take any amount of thorns and things without issue. I was puting way less than recommended in there, like 25g. They went for the best part of a year before needing a bit of topping up.

I'd go with answer 2 as I'm not sure how thick the LUST tyres are, seems like a win/win to me anyway :) No burps or anything for me with them, they worked really well.
  • stumpyjonstumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Yep they were the LUST variant (b*gger to get hold of at the time to). Agree with Toasty, they were very easy to get setup etc., I've just turned into a tyre tart and didn't like the mess. I added sealent after one of them would gradual go down over a couple of weeks. Makes sense to use it though as Toasty says, doesn't matter how good a seal you've got if there's a thorn in the tread.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dynastarg9dynastarg9 Posts: 103
    bluedave, I've got the standard XT UST wheels on my zesty which I put stans into and have had no problems so far. I've got a 2.4 mountain king on the front and a 2.2 race king on the rear. The mountain king inflated and seated easily, but the race king was hard (maybe because of the smaller casing size).

Products used:
    NoTubes The Solution Tyre Sealant
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38850
    NoTubes Stan's UST Valve Stem
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38826

I haven't used a rim strip or anything, but found that the standard valves don't seal as well as the Stans ones.
    No punctures or leaks yet... and it's been a couple of months.
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • bluedavebluedave Posts: 152
    Thanks guys, most helpful.
  • jairajjairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've tried my M775 wheelset with Specialized 2 bliss and Maxis LUST tyres, didn't use any rim strip or anything, just the valves they came with. All tyres were very easy to inflate without sealant but I put some sealant to prevent punctures. Also I don't tend to make much mess at all when changing tyres. Just be a bit careful and you'll be fine