Revelation Team U-Turn. Worth it?

mackie1
mackie1 Posts: 95
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
My old bike sold for a bit more than I expected so I'm considering upgrading the fork spec on my new one. Is a £170 hike over the standard QR Race model worth it for the Blackbox damping, U-Turn and Maxle lite? I sorely tempted but it may be more fork than I need!

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I have the standard Races and they are pretty good but they are a bit noodly around the QR so a Maxle may be worthwhile

The damping is most excellent - brake dive is minimal but the fork is still supple and it feels supportive - not bouncy - on bigger stuff. I use the remote lock-out quite a bit but I don't know if I'd use U-turn.

£170 more? Hmm....
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    IMHO, Yes! It's well worth it. But then I'm a big fella, so the maxle alone is worth some extra dosh. Lighter dudes may not tell as much of a difference.

Of course, if you're going for the maxle version, you'll need to have the 20mm front hub too, so consider that if you've already got your wheels.
  • mackie1
    I take it air U-Turn is basically the same as dual air but with travel adjustment added? As in there's no down side apart from a smidge more weight?

It is quite a lot more dosh for what is basically the same thing but slightly better but then this is a "dream build" so maybe I should just throw caution to the wind and stump up the readies.

I'm a big, heavy bloke (~17st) so maxle would be nice. I'm getting Hope Pro II hubs so 20mm is no problem.

What is a problem however is that my cyclescheme voucher appears to have been lost enroute to Merlin! Bugger!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    I find that I do tend to use the u-turn on my pikes lots.

It's a funny thing though, I managed perfectly fine for years without travel adjust, but now, when I try tackling a climb with the forks wound out at 140mm, I have a bugger of a time keeping the front on the ground.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Big bloke + dream build = no brainer :)
  • .blitz wrote:
    Big bloke + dream build = no brainer :)
    + po-tay-tows
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a brilliant fork. But it's not so brilliant that it makes the Race seem bad. U-turn is an asset only if you use it (I do, because both my bikes are designed to work with different lenght forks, so it's not just a case of "short for climbing"), the damping is a step better but not lifechangingly...

The maxle is probably a good thing though, I'm usually a bit of a skeptic but this fork was designed for it IMO, and does seem to benefit from the extra stiffness to balance off its slightly flexier chassis (last year's maxle rev was basically a lighter weight Pike, but the new one feels designed as a maxle'd trail fork from the ground up to me)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mackie1
    Thanks for the advice. I think I probably will go for it. You only live once and all that.
  • mackie1
    The price has changed to +£200 now but I'll still probably go for it.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    ftwizard wrote:
    How about Here

£11 cheaper at Merlin, with Free delivery ;)
  • mackie1
    All ordered. Should get the bike in about 2 weeks. Can't wait!
  • mackie1
    Arg! They now do the Race U-Turn Maxle for a whole lot less money. They have to make things complicated don't they!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    mackie1 wrote:
    Arg! They now do the Race U-Turn Maxle for a whole lot less money. They have to make things complicated don't they!

If you ordered from Merlin, it might be worth asking them if they mind if you send them back (assuming they're unopened/un-used) and swapping them for the Rev races. They may well say no, but it's worth asking.
  • mackie1
    They are putting my bike together today so it's probably already had its steerer cut. I'd already allocated the money for it but would have probably gone for the Race version if it had been available 2 weeks ago. Hohum.
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    mackie1 wrote:

Dammit! I had to order them at that price :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you ordered from Merlin, it might be worth asking them if they mind if you send them back (assuming they're unopened/un-used) and swapping them for the Rev races. They may well say no, but it's worth asking.

If they're new, they have no choice but to take them back under the distance selling regs.
    Uncompromising extremist