handle bar confusion

armymankin
armymankin Posts: 213
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
hi all,

just a short question wonder how would you choose a handle bar.

I have used flat, low-rasier, wide raiser... I just dont seem to find much of a difference.
i notice the wider bar tend to have more fun (maybe better control? more aggressive position?) on the bike. however it is traffic un-friendly, as in, i always worry of catching tree or cars on the road.
how shall I pick a suitable bar? what shall I look for? is it better on wider bars? but then why xc bike always go for flat, is it only because its light weight?

cheers

ps. currently using a truvative team xc-dh low-rasier at 640 width

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    flat bars give a racier position.

wider bars give more stability at higher speeds
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I tend to go for an almost flat bar, as i like my front end to be as low as possble, and for them to be fairly wide, i find skinny bars to be really twitchy, i just don't like them, at all.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,798
    armymankin wrote:
    hi all,

just a short question wonder how would you choose a handle bar.

I have used flat, low-rasier, wide raiser... I just dont seem to find much of a difference.
    i notice the wider bar tend to have more fun (maybe better control? more aggressive position?) on the bike. however it is traffic un-friendly, as in, i always worry of catching tree or cars on the road.
    how shall I pick a suitable bar? what shall I look for? is it better on wider bars? but then why xc bike always go for flat, is it only because its light weight?

cheers

ps. currently using a truvative team xc-dh low-rasier at 640 width
    What sort of riding are you mainly going to be doing? It's horses for courses generally speaking
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I was running my cousin's for a week his Bontrager 620mm with 10mm rise bar and a 25deg 105mm stem.

And.....

Didn't like it.
    I'm back on my Truvativ XR 700mm 30mm rise bars and the 75mm 5deg stem. Awesome. xD

Also the Bontrager bars were 25.4mm and the Truvativ are 31.8mm.
    They looked anorexic. :(
  • armymankin
    armymankin Posts: 213
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What sort of riding are you mainly going to be doing? It's horses for courses generally speaking

i only have one bike. a xc ht, i use it to commute to work everyday and ocassionaly take it offroad (wales, cannock, epping) with mates in weekends.

btw, i rode to beckenham place park the other day, it is not too bad. i might try shooter's hill, someone saids its worth going too.