SDG I-beam post + Bel Air SL saddle OR something else?

dav1
dav1 Posts: 1,298
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
As my |OE giant post is now completly useless and my seat slides back on it. Plus the stripped tread trying (in vain) to secure it I am in need of a new post.

Aslo as my Speed V saddle is coming apart Its probabluy time for a new saddle as well.
The Speed V is very comfortable so would be looking for something similar I think.

However the SDG-Bel air SL + free I-beam post looks like a very good deal, a great way to keep the costs down and save a bit of weight as a bonus.

Has anyone been using this combo long term? Its it any good? or would I be better off with something else?

I use my MTB for a bit of everthing from a quick weekend blast in the local woods to days out at trail centers, natural epics (when I get the chance/am in a place with hills) and even the odd XC race so it all needs to stand up to a fair bit of abuse.
Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP

Comments

• Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    I've had this combo for well over a year and I'd definately recommend it. I think the i-beam system is better than rails, the only downside being the lack of adjustable seatposts. It saves a good bit of weight and the Bel Air is known as a very comfy perch.
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    I swear by this combo. Comfiest perch I've used - and I've used a few over the years. :D

Just in case your tempted, DO NOT go for the Kore I-Beam carbon post as it rips through the I-Beam on the saddle.
  • malc101
    malc101 Posts: 115
    I have the kore post and bel air saddle combo for three years and it has been very good. I have not had any damage from the seat post.

I beam is a superior system, light, stiff and no creaking too.
    MTB - 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1
    Road - 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune with 2013 105 and 2014 Fulcrum 5's
    Winter Hack - 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge with 1x9 and Rigid Conversion (On Going)
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Zaskar20 wrote:
    DO NOT go for the Kore I-Beam carbon post as it rips through the I-Beam on the saddle.

after a year so far, mine hasn't

I have the I-fly and Kore carbon post. lightest combo out there I think (OK some road combos maybe lighter) but certainly not the comfiest. Fine for me as it's on a singlespeed and you don't cruise in the saddle much on a SS. I have been told that the full sized Ibeam saddles have more give in them than the I-fly but not tried myself.

I'd probably go for the same combo again on a FS frame but on a HT that I wanted to ride all day / spend time in the saddle, I use a TI Bel-air instead (plus my HT had a joplin, so I-beam is out, as mentioned)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    It's worth mentioning, the Bel Air SL isn't nearly as comfy as the standard railed one. I've got 2 railed ones, one on each trail bike at the moment, the lack of rails and less padding on the SL makes it a lot more stiff and solid. The Formula FX is a lot better, it's got a sort of plastic rails system going on so it flexes a bit more.

Curiously, although it's the biggest selling point, I found the lack of adjustment the worst thing. I normally use a layback Thomson post and a Bel Air RL saddle. To get the same position on the I-Beam set up you need to run the saddle very far back on it's rail, which puts a lot more stress on it. All in all it was a 50g saving with the 400mm IBeam post + Formula FX saddle over a 410mm Thomson post + Bel Air Ti, it didn't really seem worth it for a less comfy setup.
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    This is what occured with the Kore post.
    Admittingly the post was placed too far forward at first (as in pic). The post was later placed in the centre of the beam after this pic and exactly the same happened.

There are two clamping areas to the clamp - one at the front and one at the rear. Now I am not the lightest person and I do shift my weight around whilst in the saddle. When my weight was on the back of the saddle the rear part of the clamp acted as a fulcrum and the I-Beam around the front part of the clamp was forced through this clamping area. The bolts were tightened to the correct torque in both cases.

This cannot happen with the SDG versions as the clamping areas are along the full length of the clamp thus providing no fulcrum.

4594956285_6a843af1d5_b.jpg
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I haven't got a load of experience with saddles but just by chance the ones I have owned are a Speed V which I loved, a Bel Air, which I hated and a Charge Spoon which I like but not as much as the Speed V. It's been said many times before but saddles are a very personal thing and no matter what gets recommended, if it doesn't fit you, you will hate it. So if you liked the Speed V and have a similar shaped @rse to me, you may well hate the Bel Air. :wink:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Airienteer wrote:
    I've had this combo for well over a year and I'd definitely recommend it. I think the i-beam system is better than rails, the only downside being the lack of adjustable seatposts. It saves a good bit of weight and the Bel Air is known as a very comfy perch.

I think pure racing are bringing out an ibeam height adjustable seatpost. I had an i beam and normal sdg saddle. The railed sadle was much more comfortable than the ibeam saddle. I now have a charge spoon which is the best value saddle I have ever owned, just as good as my pre vious SDG's but much cheaper

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl