Giro s'Italia - Stage 2 - Utrecht - SPOILER

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Oh, it was Sutton, not Henderson. Chapeau.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Sastre loses 35 seconds and judging by the size of that group, he won't be alone.
    Well done to Farrar, but a farce.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    Pink Cuddles tonight?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It was good tactics by Farrar to get his crash out of the way early in the stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Evans in pink... very early heavy work load for a not so very strong team, with already one man out.....
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    carnage

Garmin are still winning me over

evans has to let the jersey go soon as...

astana look super bad they remind me of the evil footie team from shaolin soccer
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    FJS wrote:
    Evans in pink... very early heavy work load for a not so very strong team, with already one man out.....

yeah my thinking he has to save them for the TTT and the third week...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    RichN95 wrote:
    It was good tactics by Farrar to get his crash out of the way early in the stage.

:lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Snijder's wife is one of the pink jersey podium girls I believe.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Farrar up to second, millar was in the front group too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    Liquigas won't have won many friends for driving the front group after the final pile up. I'm still not sure how the Sky boys got caught up in two pile ups as they never left the front of the bunch while I was watching and rode a tactically very good race, Cummings was superb.

Nice to see Greipel prove his point and show that in Cav's absence he's HTC's second best sprinter :lol:

Very poorly set out course for such an important race I thought, I'm all for technical courses but some of those obstacles and corners were ridiculous with such a large peloton.

Well done Farrar, wish I'd gone with my first instincts for PTP now :(
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,571
    Pross wrote:
    Nice to see Greipel prove his point and show that in Cav's absence he's HTC's second best sprinter :lol:
    (

second behind goss?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    BMC to keep it all together tomorrow until the gallop and hope that Farrar gets bonus seconds to take the jersey away?

Even aside from Greipels inability to find a wheel today, HTC looked to be all over the shop.

Any truth to the rumour that Pippo broke a nail?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mididoctors
    LangerDan wrote:
    BMC to keep it all together tomorrow until the gallop and hope that Farrar gets bonus seconds to take the jersey away?

Even aside from Greipels inability to find a wheel today, HTC looked to be all over the shop.

yeah agree with that
  • blazing_saddles
    BMC's worst nightmare, taking pink so early. Working in tomorrow's wind, catching the bus, then a TTT with 8 riders.

Garmin will take the strain and get given the pink poison chalice.
  • Cumulonimbus
    BMC wont have to defend it after tomorrow anyway, as its the rest day afterwards followed by the TTT.
  • mididoctors
    rider go slow tomorrow perhaps?
  • LangerDan
    rider go slow tomorrow perhaps?

Are they planning another strike? Perhaps Lance could appear by video conference to give his support.

Funny thing was that the worst of the crashes happened on the widest roads. They generally got through the sinlge lane stuff unscathed
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It's partially the nerves of the first stage - the first couple of stages of the TdF always have plenty of crashes too - although the winding roads and traffic islands didn't help.
  • mididoctors
    FJS wrote:
    It's partially the nerves of the first stage - the first couple of stages of the TdF always have plenty of crashes too - although the winding roads and traffic islands didn't help.

that was pretty bad thou by any standard
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    Many of the crashes at the end of the stage happened on normal roads with no corners and road furniture in sight. The Flemish commentators were nearly screaming at the crashed riders, because the crashes didn't make any sense. But I agree that most of the roads used today, especially those around the "hill" zone, are more suited to one-day classics than to GTs.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    I'm still not sure how the Sky boys got caught up in two pile ups as they never left the front of the bunch while I was watching and rode a tactically very good race,

What, exactly, was so good about Sky's tactics today? Why do all that work from 40km out when there was nothing to be gained? They got caught up in the final pile-up because they had nothing left for the crucial final kilometers. Contrast with Garmin, who reserved their efforts for when it mattered.
  • fastercyclist
    fastercyclist Posts: 396
    Birillo wrote:
    I'm still not sure how the Sky boys got caught up in two pile ups as they never left the front of the bunch while I was watching and rode a tactically very good race,

What, exactly, was so good about Sky's tactics today? Why do all that work from 40km out when there was nothing to be gained? They got caught up in the final pile-up because they had nothing left for the crucial final kilometers. Contrast with Garmin, who reserved their efforts for when it mattered.

I've noticed there has been some serious issues with team Sky road tactics.

If they're so obsessed with marginal gains, get better DS.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    You've gotta love Cuddles

"We will not look at keeping the jersey at any cost tomorrow. Farrar is only one second behind me. I'm not going to look for bonus seconds on the road tomorrow against him. But I'll drop him off on the Zoncolan if he’s still there!"

Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    iainf72 wrote:
    You've gotta love Cuddles

"We will not look at keeping the jersey at any cost tomorrow. Farrar is only one second behind me. I'm not going to look for bonus seconds on the road tomorrow against him. But I'll drop him off on the Zoncolan if he’s still there!"

Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised. Pink doesn't suit him.
    FSevanssuffer.jpg
    Hope he doesn't get Zoncolanitis 2002.:wink:
  • LangerDan
    Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised. Pink doesn't suit him.
    FSevanssuffer.jpg

Is that one of the Hamilton twins right behind Evans?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Could you have found a more unflattering photo BS? :wink:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Bernardus wrote:
    Many of the crashes at the end of the stage happened on normal roads with no corners and road furniture in sight. The Flemish commentators were nearly screaming at the crashed riders, because the crashes didn't make any sense. But I agree that most of the roads used today, especially those around the "hill" zone, are more suited to one-day classics than to GTs.

Maybe they saw the easier bits of road as the chances to move up the bunch, jostle for places, etc and therefore the easier bits of the road saw more dangerous riding?
  • DaveyL
    Birillo wrote:

And you know this for sure, how?

For one, Chris Sutton certainly looked like he had a fair bit left in the tank in the last km.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    Birillo wrote:

simplistic analysis IMO

a lot of the gc contender teams were trying to keep their guys near the front..

the big hitters were scared of getting caught out in the wind or a crash.. sky were unlucky thats all.

the biggest failures tactically were HTC who had no excuse even by your own criteria

that said sky rode ok rather than well