lightening the bike weight without the weight weenie isms?

bobpzero
bobpzero Posts: 1,431
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
trying to work if its possible to get bike weight down to 19lbs with changing the frame but not becoming a weight weenie in the process?

bike setup as it atm

Comments

• baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    edited May 2010
    crank brothers cobalt wheels
    crank brothers eggbeaters for pedals
    XTR for SLX
    quite hard to do after that without being a race whipper
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Starting with replacing all the SLX kit with XTR or Sram XO or XX kit would be a start.

It is quite expensive though
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    bobpzero wrote:
    trying to work if its possible to get bike weight down to 19lbs with changing the frame but not becoming a weight weenie in the process?

bike setup as it atm

It might be possible but your going to need money to burn whatever way you do it.

Do you mean without changing the frame?

Your grips would have to go as would the wheels, tyres, tubes and brakes. To stand the best chance you would probably need to fit the SRAM XX groupset and that's for starters.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    forget groupset for starters imo, focus on wheels and tyres, a set of stans no tubes hubs and crest rims comes in at under 1400 grammes for around than 400 quid and switching the system 4 tyres to tubeless nobby nics like i have done will know of nearly 800 grammes so thats over 1,5kg of rotational lost for about 500 quid, far cheaper than a full xx ot xtr groupset and as it is rotaional weight you will notice the difference massively

then id switch to a single front ring and probably xt or x9 and id buy the lightest cassette you could, like xtr as upgrading shifters saves a miniscule amount of weight not worth the extra dosh imo,
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Possible i'd say, but you'd have to ditch prob everything you had on it, my bike is currently 23.1 (ish), your frame is 2lb lighter, so with my kit on for example would be 21.1lb and that's with XT kit (2x9 chainset), with say 2x9 XTR drivetrain, Hope X2 race brakes or Formula R1, lighter wheels/tyres. But you will need deepish pockets :lol:
    You state the current weight is 'about 25lbs', have you had it properly weighed? seen plenty people with bikes that are 'about 'X' weight', some which turn out a couple pound over their guesstimate.. get it weighed at a bike shop so you know where you stand.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Yup, look at the wheels and tyres first.
    Your spec is pretty decent so it's going to get expensive to upgrade.

I've just finished an upgrade on my full suspension XC bike, it's now down to 24lbs. The frame is the least optimised element - I can knock another 2lbs off the weight with a Carbon frame.
    Otherwise i'm looking at around £200 per 100g from there.
    baba123 wrote:
    crank brothers cobalt wheels
    Cobalt wheels aren't light.. Look at some custom ZTR Olympic Wheelsets.