Tyres.....nearly decided!

podgeorge
podgeorge Posts: 188
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
So i have been looking for a tyre combo to replace my pile of shite MK's 2.2, and i have found a few combos but i don't know which to go for. Please bear in mind i will end up climbing quite alot with these tyres, and 2/3rds of there use will be aggressive XC/Trail Riding.
So what would you go for??

Maxxis 2.35 High Roller 60a rear, Maxxis Minion 2.35 60a Front
Maxxis 2.25 Ardent 60a rear, Maxxis Minion 2.35 60a Front
Maxxis 2.35 High Roller 60a Front and Rear.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    TBH if you're just trail riding I would go for a 2.35 High Roller on the front, but then something lighter/faster on the back, Ignitors and Crossmarks spring to mind.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I have a 2.35 Ignitor on the front and a 2.1 Highroller on the back, sorted :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    2.35 minion kevlar single ply maxxpro on front and 2.1 highroller kevlar exception on rear.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    the ardent/minion combo, both folding
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ive ran the minion/ardent combo over the winter but the ardent on the back is not very fast and looks a bit odd having a bigger tyre on back than front.
  • podgeorge
    Thanks alot for your input guys, i am leaning towards getting a 2.35 Minion on the front now with a 2.1/2.35 High roller on the rear. But the 2.35 Ignitors on the On-One website for £15 each are really tempting me at the moment, although there just quite heavy and slower rolling :? :roll:
    I should also point out that its not just XC i will be using this tyre combo for, i love to have a go at some light DH and Freeride as well!
    Any more advice is very welcome!
    Cheers
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    What's the 'folding' mean when buying tyres? Guessing ti can fold like but what's beneficial or not beneficial about that?

Cheers

:lol:
  • Folding tyres are lighter weight and can obviously be folded eg for storage. They are usually a little bit more expensive though
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd have a Minion on the front out of those... Not sure for the rear though, their range is pretty confusing IMO. Fancy trying an Aspen on the rear at some point.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Highroller front and rear will mean you're sorted for pretty much anything
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Folding tyres are lighter weight and can obviously be folded eg for storage. They are usually a little bit more expensive though

Cheers
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would definatly go for the minion on the front.

Have you thought about another Minion F on the back, my next tyre purchases will be another minion for the back and a pair of swampthings for the mud on my local hills.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    2 minion f's would be slow, but a minion f upfront is good, with an ardent on the back
  • peter413
    2 minion f's would be slow, but a minion f upfront is good, with an ardent on the back

Run it backwards and it rolls fine.

I am not to keen on the ardents myself don't roll as well as other tyres that grip better IME (holy rollers sprng to mind, ok they don't grip better but they are about the same but the HR's roll much much better)
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'm running high rollers front and rear 60a the rear is dual ply and the front is single ply (i like to ride hard)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    I run MK Protectuions with Blck Chill which makes a massive difference and love um. But if thats not your thing then oh hum we're all different.

My wife runs Ardent up front and Crossmark or Ignitor on the back depending on conditions.

IMO Highrollers and Minions are not ideal for XC. If you really think you need that much grip then maybe your idea of XC is different to mine or you could do with looking at your technique.
  • podgeorge
    Thanks for your input guys!
    Anyway i think i have decided to get a pair of 2.35 High Rollers 60a, but i am confused as to what the difference is between 'Single' and 'Dual' Ply means, and what the advantages are of each, also what would i use each of them for??
    Also i will say that i like to do and will have a go at everything, within reason, although having thought about it, i mainly do aggressive trail/ All Mountain riding.
    Cheers
  • peter413
    Dual ply has two plys in the sidewall instead of one.

It is a lot heavier so should only be used for DH
  • podgeorge
    peter413 wrote:
    Dual ply has two plys in the sidewall instead of one.

It is a lot heavier so should only be used for DH

Ahhh, brilliant! Thanks alot!
  • urbanAir
    urbanAir Posts: 35
    jeez, just go buy some tyres! :roll: