Which rims? XC717's - DT 4.2's or ZTR 355's

Pigeon.
Pigeon. Posts: 49
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Still struggling to decide on a set of wheels for my Anthem X. The hubs and spokes I'm decided on which just leaves the rims. I want the wheel-set as light as possible but not so light that I break them, currently running XC 717's which have been fine with the riding I do. Question is if the 717's are okay would the ZTR 355's or DT4.2's be likely to be tough enough as well or is the 717 a tougher rim?

Any help as ever greatly appreciated

cheers

Pigeon

Comments

• richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ive also been looking into this and the 717's come out on top.
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    i've had both xc717 on custom built and stans 355 (hope hoops factory build). The 355's have required no trueing. The 355's are lighter too and can be easily converted to tubless.

The only problem is they are out of stock everywhere pending their replacement by the crest (lighter still). I am going to wait till mid May to replace my xc717 rear with a crest on my new bike.

hope this helps
    It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude
  • Pigeon.
    Thanks Rich and Mozzy much appreciated, Mozzy what's the worst you've put the 355's through? Any word on whether the Crest will be as tough as the 355's, if they are definitely sound worth holding on for.

thanks again

Pigeon
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Pigeon. wrote:
    Thanks Rich and Mozzy much appreciated, Mozzy what's the worst you've put the 355's through? Any word on whether the Crest will be as tough as the 355's, if they are definitely sound worth holding on for.

thanks again

Pigeon

It's unlikely that they'll be quite as tough as the 355, they are a alightly more race orientated rim. However if you're a light rider the 355 can stand up to a lot, so the Crest may still be OK.
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    Well I consider myself quite light (70 kg) and ride mostly xc around local woods, Surrey Hills and South Downs. Sometimes in Peaks and Lakes too. I do small jumps 2 ft and drops of 3ft max. But all of that is my opinion and would be hard to compare to anyone elses opinion of thier own riding.

What I can tell you for a fact is that my riding produced small lateral buckles in my xc717s (~1 mm) front and rear which i had to true every month or do. I've never had the same problem with the 355's doing the exact same riding. After 3 months on the 355 I deem them to be stronger than the xc717. According to to no tubes the Crest will be the same strength, but lighter, the weight is shed by shorter sidewalls and hence the Crest isn't rim brake compatible like the 355.

Hope this helps.
    It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude
  • Pigeon.
    thanks Mozzy, definitely helps, gives me a good idea of what they can potentially cope with.

cheers