Gibo Simoni: a good egg?

greeny12
greeny12 Posts: 759
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Being a relatively recent convert to the Giro, I don't know much about the history of Gilberto Simoni. He seems quite popular on here, but is he generally thought of as a decent (i.e. clean) professional?

Cheers!
My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
http://ontherivet.ning.com/

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    ex Saunier Duval rider init? soo.... :roll: :roll:

if you want to get an idea of him as a rider you MUST watch The Quest and if you want to watch some more Saunier Duval stuff then The Quest 2.. if you dunno where to get it give me a pm and I will hook you up
    cartoon.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Yes, Saunier Duval at the same time as Mr "Clean" Millar, so he's as clean as him.

Gibo couldn't recover, during last year's Giro, unlike that other 37YO, who got better.
    So, read him how you will, but he's been gradually sliding into middle age, rather than finding the form of his life, like other riders who should be past their sell by date.

He has been the catalyst for attacking Giro riding, throughtout this millenium. He also speaks his mind.
    This is probably why he isn't much favoured by fans of Cunego and Basso!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    He's a "difficult" character, apparantly. But always rides to win, has a classic case of small man syndrome and always struck me as a straight, if blunt, kind of guy. Family man too.

He had a difficult early career, his father and brother both died of cancer within months of each other. His consistent form and lack of eyebrow raising performances away from the giro always made me think he was a guy who either didn't respond well to the gear or was a quiet conchie. He's always put the onus on teams to deal with the problem.

Anyway, I'm biased. I'm a total fanboy. My favourite rider ever.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I like him - but wasn't he one of the riders whose blood showed unexplained child like levels of certain hormones in one GT - DiLuca was another and there were a couple more. I doubt he has always been clean though his results in recent years would be consistent with him having been riding without assistance.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,475
    I think he's been an exciting rider to watch but have no illusions that he's ridden clean at any point in his career. His timetrialling transformation in the 2001 Giro had me shaking my head in disbelief at the time, as he beat riders like Olano and Gontchar in a long flat time trial.
  • disgruntledgoat
    By the way... I fully recognise that I leave myself open to charges of hypocrisy here, as per my comments on the Valverde thread. I'll fess up, I'm a hypocrite, I have my favourites and require a higher standard of proof for them!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Doobz wrote:
    ex Saunier Duval rider init? soo.... :roll: :roll:

if you want to get an idea of him as a rider you MUST watch The Quest and if you want to watch some more Saunier Duval stuff then The Quest 2.. if you dunno where to get it give me a pm and I will hook you up

Found 'em! Thanks for the tip!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Saunier probably had at least one clean rider- most dirty teams did. He'd be the one who went down to the testers when they came to call to give the others time to, em, clean themselves up as best they could.
    Christophe Bassons of Festina springs to mind.

Not making any comments on Simoni's entire career being drug free though.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Tusher wrote:
    Saunier probably had at least one clean rider- most dirty teams did. He'd be the one who went down to the testers when they came to call to give the others time to, em, clean themselves up as best they could.
    Christophe Bassons of Festina springs to mind.

Not making any comments on Simoni's entire career being drug free though.

I'd dearly like to believe that... But i reckon his "mentoring" of Ricco probably gives the lie to it. As does winning 2 Giros against the likes of Frigo, Casagrande et al.

I still love him though!

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yes, Saunier Duval at the same time as Mr "Clean" Millar, so he's as clean as him.

Gibo couldn't recover, during last year's Giro, unlike that other 37YO, who got better.
    So, read him how you will, but he's been gradually sliding into middle age, rather than finding the form of his life, like other riders who should be past their sell by date.

He has been the catalyst for attacking Giro riding, throughtout this millenium. He also speaks his mind.
    This is probably why he isn't much favoured by fans of Cunego and Basso!

And at the same time as Piepoli and Ricco.

So you ride on the same team as someone, it means you're as clean or as dirty as they are?

I love the logic the Tifosi-boi will use when trying to stick up for his heroes. :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    DaveyL wrote:

So you ride on the same team as someone, it means you're as clean or as dirty as they are?

I don't know why people always say: "Ah Simoni, Saunier Duval", when they could easily say: "Ah Simoni,............erm..............Lampre". :oops:

Anyhow, wot you said was what i meant to say.

Oh and lightweight, of course. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    I don't mind Gibo. He's colourful. The podium incident with Cunego was a particular highlight. I do wonder how they'll get on at the Giro.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    Oh and lightweight, of course. :P

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you know... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DaveyL wrote:
    I don't mind Gibo. He's colourful. The podium incident with Cunego was a particular highlight. I do wonder how they'll get on at the Giro.

It's kinda weird how two people can have an argument and both end up getting more popular than before.

People just love those crazy Italians and their polemica.
  • DaveyL
    Polemica? I prefer gnocchi.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Leonardo Bertagnocchi?
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    I like him - but wasn't he one of the riders whose blood showed unexplained child like levels of certain hormones in one GT - DiLuca was another and there were a couple more.
    Several names were initially mentioned, but I believe it turned out to be only Di Luca:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/Road/news/article/danilo-di-luca-acquitted-on-doping-charge-15831/?mp=1
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    Good pro who lives and breathes cycling, never out of shape. Clean erm.. doubt it, as he has ridden in the dark years and won. Also he was in the 1998 Giro and was climbing like a brick compared to Pantani, Gotti et al.

Glad he is riding the Giro anyway!