Pivot Bearing - Removal of cup.

cmd205
cmd205 Posts: 107
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys.

I am REALLY stuck on the removal of the cup so I can swap my pivot bearings. Bike is a Gary Fisher Cake 2 but I think it is the same setup as some Trek's.

Basically I need to remove the allen key in the photo below:

Image004.jpg

Which will then allow this cup to come out of the other side and give me access to the bearings:

Image022.jpg

However when I undo the allen key, the whole cup spins and as such will not undo.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to undo this allen key without the cup spinning.

Really hope someone can help!!

Thanks,

Carl.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tried fitting the allen screw back in on the other side and hitting it?

dont they both screw together?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cmd205
    That's right mate - they do screw together - the allen key screws into the cup. The problem is that the allen key will not undo and loosen out of the cup. When I undo it the whole cup spins.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so put the other allen bolt back in (no bearing or cup) and hit it to knock the other one lose and out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cmd205
    It doesn't work like that. What you see in the above pics is the allen key / cup without anything removed. There is only one cup and the allen key is screwed into the bottom of it. If I undo the allen key the whole cup turns. What should happen as that the cup should not spin, so when the allen key is undone, it unscrews out of the cup and can then be removed allowing the removal of the rear triangle.