Will my carbon Reba forks kill me?

agg25
agg25 Posts: 619
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Bought some second hand on ebay, perfect condition, had them fit by LBS and they were quite wary about me using them, sounded like they didn't trust them to last long being carbon especially if I do curb jumping...not that I do that.
They're Reba World Cup carbon forks and I think but not sure that they are aluminium reinforced carbon on the crown and steerer?
Question is, are they rightly justified in their mistrust for the carbon Reba, I would have thought it would be fine and designed to take a few heavy hits occasionally.
I use that bike for commuting mostly but also as a second trail bike for a mate after swapping the wheels over.

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i would have thought it would be fine.... what year is it?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    They'll be fine. How many bike frames are made from Carbon? Carbon forks are probably much thicker than most carbon frames are because they have to take the internal load of compressed air.

If they weren't up to trail riding, they would have to have a warning sticked advising against use for downhill...just lke on suntours
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    They'll be fine, I've been hammering mine about for about 18mths now with no issues. Rapid XC, minor air time and i'm about 200lbs..

Nice piece of kit, not for serious yumping and serious downhill, but gentle flight up to about 18" seems to be fine
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Ah ok, yeah I thought he was being a bit paranoid and out of date. They're the ones here -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260587738323&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1080
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    agg25 wrote:
    Ah ok, yeah I thought he was being a bit paranoid and out of date. They're the ones here -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260587738323&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1080
    they are great forks, and while they are XC race forks first and formost, and arnt really for aggressive riding.. they will happily stand up to some good xc thrashing, and will be fine on most small (sub 1.5 ft) drops.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    be fine, i had pace rc40 on my bike hammered them for years no problems with the carbon lowers on them :wink:
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    I think it's only the crown and steerer that are carbon on these. Saves around 100g over the normal aluminium crown and steerer.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    They're a death trap. Send them to me, I can re-cycle them for you. :wink: