Effect of stem length on handling?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 60,768
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I've heard it mentioned a few times here and there, but have never quite got my head around how the handling/feel of a bike with short stem will differ from one with a long stem - other things being equal? Can anyone explain without using long words please :P

I know it affects how 'stretched out' you will be but that's a bit obvious isn't it....
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• bigbenj_08 wrote:
    schweiz
    Huge generalization here.. but..

Short stem = quicker steering but can be twitchy, better for decending.
    Long stem = slower steering but more stable, better for climbing.

Thin bars = quicker steering but more twitchy, easier climbing + less control on descents.
    Wide bars = slower steering but more stable, harder cliimbing + more control on descents.

So I've opted for a short stem with wide bars...
    The twitchyness of the short stem is counteracted by the stability of the wider bar. Giving better decending at the expense of harder climbing.

Long stem + thin bars..
    Slower but stable steering is counteracted by the quicker steering of thin bars.
    Giving more economical climbing at the expense of less controll descending.

Short Stem + Thin Bars...
    Very twitchy.

Long Stem Wide Bars...
    Super slow steering.

So...
    For XC the longer stem/thin bars is beneficial because it helps with climbing.
    DH/FR/AM a shorter stem + wide bars offer downhill stability and better riding position.

Thats all theory btw... I've just written is from what I believe the differences are between bar/stem combos.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,768
    Cheers mate - that answers the question and more besides 8)

Have just got a wider bar riser bar to replace the narrow flat bar job that came as std and was thinking about a shorter stem as well. Time to go shopping....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • paully617
    paully617 Posts: 139
    I found the standard raceface bars fitted to my trance x2 were ok but i didnt quite feel in control of it during twisty sections and so i used a 1"?? roll of masking tape and wrapped it around the end of each bar end. Using a drmel tool i lobbed the bit off and and refitted the ergon grips.

Having ridden it since, the amount of steering control is vastly improved to the point where i only have to think about making the turn and it happens.

Either a perfect modification or i have suddenly discovered the ways of the Jedi...
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013