A Thousand quid for an Alu frame???

Splottboy
Splottboy Posts: 3,695
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Saw the new Foes Raptor frame, and as I'm looking for a Hardtail frame, thought I'd look at it on the Foes site. Closest is the Predator, but it's a bit too "Jumps/Bike Park" for me.

So...saw the Foes "Prolite XC" frame and it looked fantastic/perfect, and searched the Web.

Low-and-behold, it's on the Balfa site at...wait for it...at £1,099 !!!!!!!!!! FRAME ONLY!!!!!

I could get a decent full XC bike, Ti frame or road bike for this!

Yeah, I know the replies will be " You don't HAVE to buy it...Import/VAT etc...they have to make a living.." blah-blah-blah, but this is taking the PISS out of us punters, I feel.

Come on, can this REALLY be justified? Or am I being over simplistic/thick?

Comments

• SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    edited May 2010
    Foes frames generally are expensive anyway.

Frames from Santa Cruz, Ibis and Yeti are about the same.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    A lot of it is, i would imagine, to cover the cost of the design phase. The actual value of the material and labour isn't a huge part of it.

Just a guess.

P.S plus they know that people will pay that much, so why wouldn't they want to make as much off it as they can? :P
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Company tries to make big profit?

And in recent news, man walks dog.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I paid £600 for my Team Issue frame (scandium) and I thought that was a lot, but more complexly designed/lightweight frames do cost that on average, moreso than 'bog standard' allu frames

Although £1100 seems a tad steep, its a Foes.. what do you expect? :lol:
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    pricing is an odd science,

at uni a lecturer told us about when he lived abroad and set up a business making rugs and selling them to shops back in england,
    when he put up the price of his rugs by 25%, sales rose by 50%,
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    RealMan wrote:
    Company tries to make big profit?

And in recent news, man walks dog.

lol , i liked that.
    utterly pointless rant.
    :D
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    It would have to be really special for that price. It certainly doesn't look it.

I assume it's made in the USA? That pumps the price up relative to a Taiwanese frame, but doesn't necessarily mean the quality is any higher.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Doesn't look too much different to a Trek 6000, so where's the extra £500 come from?
    Gotta give it to the Yanks. ( Bullshit beats Brains or If you can't convince, confuse.)

Think I'll get me a JBC Storm/Thunder. Under £250 inc P+P.
    Had the JX Expert, and was a great XC ride

Praise E-Bay, the saviour of poor, desolate, wanton cyclists!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Diminishing returns and all that. ANd a lot of bollocks.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Buy a shirt for £5 from Tesco, stick a Vivienne Westwood label on it and hey presto you have a £200 shirt.

Any more explanation needed?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    in fairness....if you told 100 people how much your bike cost they would probably say something along the lines of...

how much? but you could have got a car for that!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    amt27 wrote:
    pricing is an odd science,

at uni a lecturer told us about when he lived abroad and set up a business making rugs and selling them to shops back in england,
    when he put up the price of his rugs by 25%, sales rose by 50%,

that's easy, people like expensive, shiny kit as oposed to cheap nasty stuff :lol:
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!