first PROPER descent!

Team Banana Spokesman
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
oh my....

only ever done about 30-35mph on shallow descents before but I got taken on a tour of some hard climbs in the peak district yesterday and hit 58mph on one super steep downhill. :shock:

i'm addicted now. :D does anyone else get that feeling of weightlessness when you feel the bike just drop out from underneath you?

it felt like I was going to take off! the road has a 30 limit. do you think it is actually possible to take off on certain roads at speeds close to 60? im thinking that this could be why the road has a 30 limit even though it was so remote/quiet.

Comments

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Made me smile - while I'm fretting about doing 58kph downhill on another thread, you're doing 58mph! :D

Crazy but admirable :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's possible to take off at any speed, you just need a suitable ramp and the inclination to leave the ground.

If you're worried about it, look at some of the mtb articles from 4x about pumping jumps, stand up into the lip then let the bike come up underneath you as you cross the lip and push it back down onto the downslope for free speed!

The converse will get you air: crouch into the lip, then spring as you hit it. Although i really wouldn't advise trying to get air on a road bike if you're not used to it, 23mm tyres are not great for landing on and due to the length road bikes tend to be a bit unwieldy in the air.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    oh my....

only ever done about 30-35mph on shallow descents before but I got taken on a tour of some hard climbs in the peak district yesterday and hit 58mph on one super steep downhill. :shock:

i'm addicted now. :D does anyone else get that feeling of weightlessness when you feel the bike just drop out from underneath you?

it felt like I was going to take off! the road has a 30 limit. do you think it is actually possible to take off on certain roads at speeds close to 60? im thinking that this could be why the road has a 30 limit even though it was so remote/quiet.

Yes................

angel_poster-p228432242191070835trma_400.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Get yer roadie Butt to N.Wales! Great descent down the Llanberis Pass, and the Nantgwynant Pass. These 2 are next to each other, as well as the less steep one towards Capel Curig.

Another "secret" one is Nantlle Pass, Rhyd Ddu to Nantlle Village.

Bring some decent brake blocks and brown shorts...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

The converse will get you air: crouch into the lip, then spring as you hit it. Although i really wouldn't advise trying to get air on a road bike if you're not used to it, 23mm tyres are not great for landing on and due to the length road bikes tend to be a bit unwieldy in the air.

Now that I've got to see at 58mph....

f**k me, that would be scary.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218

It definitely is because I've done it twice - it isn't a nice feeling...! :wink:

First time: Commuting to work in Burnley. I was descending the fairly steep hill on Rossendale Road after the Manchester Road traffic lights. My speed was rising rapidly and I was watching the computer trying to see if I could hit 60 mph. I was on the drops with my chin down near the bars to get as aero as possible and I glanced up and saw a raised manhole cover in front of me. I hit it at full speed and the bike was launched into the air. The bike came down hard and I chinned the bars and bit into my tongue. The bike bounced back off the road and then landed again. Somehow, I didn't puncture or drop the bike and I managed to swerve back out of the path of oncoming traffic. Not a nice experience. I checked the computer afterwards and I was going at 56 mph when it happened! :shock:

Second time: Descending off the top of Fleet Moss in the Yorkshire Dales towards Hawes. The first part of the descent is at about 15-20% so I got down on the drops and hurtled down only to discover that the gradient abruptly ramps to 25%! I got big air and the most horrible adrenaline rush. I'd already thought about the blood and gore that was going to be spewing out of my body before I'd even landed. Once again though, somehow I kept control and slowed to about 45 mph for the rest of the descent. I've heard of several people crashing in exactly that spot since then!

I start to get a bit nervous over 50 mph now unless I am very familiar with the road and can see well ahead of me.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    morstar wrote:

Now that I've got to see at 58mph....

f**k me, that would be scary.
    i was thinking the same thing! i've been 40.3 and i was braking HARD at the end incase a nutter flew round the corner and killed me with his car.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    roadiw wimps... :wink:

we mtb'ers do this kinda thing ALL the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3x5nVoLWM

:lol::wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • reevsy
    reevsy Posts: 17
    42mph my record so far. I papped it too.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    My Garmin had me doing 56 mph down Clay Bank just outside of Great Broughton, but as 1 second later it had me doing 0.2 mph I've discounted that reluctantly.

It wasn't the stopping but the speed up to 40 mph another second later - Cav watch out :wink: .

So my fastest is still 42.5 on the same bank. :cry:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I hit 45-point-something a few weeks ago on my panniered tourer, on the road from Middleton to Brough. I probably could have hit 50 but I was heading for some corners and didn't trust it.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Most of the hilly regions in Britain that I've ridden in have roads steep enough to find 50 mph. Near 60 is suddenly rarer, I've found. A hill on my regular ride in Cornwall has got me to 57-58 briefly, but faces a prevailing headwind that limits me to as little as 40 mph some days. I'm sure 60 is achievable but it'll need a strong tailwind, and clearer traffic as cars tend to descend it more slowly.

I've got to 60-and-a-bit on mountain descents in France, even though the hills are usually switchbacked and less steep than cramped English and Welsh roads (which tend to go straight up hills, for lack of space, I guess). A strong tailwind will do instead.

Still, I find these numbers are more exciting academically: for all the "you must be crazy" comments that often come from the incredulous in these threads, those of us who have been in cars know how boring 60mph can be – it's all about context. My most exciting downhill rides have been at less than 40mph on sinuous, chicaned roads in the mountains at the edge of the massif, with cow bells clanking, shouts of "Allez! Allez!" from farmers as you fly past feeling as light as the wind.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    balthazar wrote:
    My most exciting downhill rides have been at less than 40mph on sinuous, chicaned roads in the mountains at the edge of the massif, with cow bells clanking, shouts of "Allez! Allez!" from farmers as you fly past feeling as light as the wind.

Exactly........... :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved