why is my bike so heavy

R.lepecha
R.lepecha Posts: 67
edited May 2010 in MTB general
my bike is only just sub 35lb, and it seems by what i've read most hardtails are about 27-29lb's

spec:
Handsomedog Talisman(steel) frame,
RST Omega TNL forks,
Continental Gravity Rear Tyre,
WTB Velociraptor Front tyre,
XT Rear Derailleur,
Acera Frnt Derailleur,
Tektro IO brakes,
Handsomedog Sumo bars,
EA30 Stem+Seatpost,
WTB Rocket V saddle,
8 Speed shimano HG40 cassette, HG40 Chain and RPM CK755D Octalink Chainset.
MACH1 Subzero Wheels.

is it because its a steel frame?

Comments

• Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Steel frame would make sense.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    The steel frame should only add a couple of pounds at the most...

The reality is that non of the components on you're bike (apart from perhaps the xt mech) could be considered light-weight. So is an addition of many heavyish parts that makes up the total weight.

Main offenders are likely to be the wheels, forks, chainset perhaps...

It depends how bothered you are about weight but if i were you I would look to replacing the wheels and forks with lighter models, should also make the bike ride a lot better too...
  • I'd agree with wheels and forks. But also stuff like handlebars...are they alu or steel? Alu parts like that are very light, and can cost very little. If they were steel, it would make a difference. Not so much by themselves, but added up...
  • R.lepecha
    the wheels arnt exactly heavy though. sub 2100g for the set. and just got the forks so no chance, i dont spend loads on forks, they work. i dont like realy soft forks.
  • R.lepecha
    I'd agree with wheels and forks. But also stuff like handlebars...are they alu or steel? Alu parts like that are very light, and can cost very little. If they were steel, it would make a difference. Not so much by themselves, but added up...

there alu.
    and they dont weight much more than my ea30's i bent.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you weighed it correctly?

The frame is very light for steel at 4.3lbs.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Your current forks alone weigh 2.4Kg and your wheels around 2Kg. Whereas a light fork would weigh around 1.5Kg, and wheels the same at around 1.5Kg.

So there's a 1.5Kgs saving there. I Don't know what your frame weighs but I guess it would be around 2-3 Kg wheras a lightweight alu frame would be closer again to 1.5Kg. Its not to difficult to see how you could drop 2-3Kgs
  • R.lepecha
    supersonic wrote:

i wieghed it on scales so yeah its done properly really. and yeah it is quite a light steel frame,

Dirtydog11 - yeah but wheels weighing that much are going to be 200+ for the set, and fork would be like 400. like i have that sort of money on me. and yeah the frames a replacement because i cracked 2 aluminium frames. and steel is stronger plus steel makes a better trail bike because it rides smoother.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    800g each ish for front and rear tyres will feel like your dragging a dead body about sometimes
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    a few years back i had a talisman built up with some quality bits , sids, hope/mavic wheels and lightweight carbon finishing kit and it easily weighed less than 25lbs. your weight problem seems to be caused by everything but the steel frame (and rear mech)
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • R.lepecha
    pastey_boy wrote:
    a few years back i had a talisman built up with some quality bits , sids, hope/mavic wheels and lightweight carbon finishing kit and it easily weighed less than 25lbs. your weight problem seems to be caused by everything but the steel frame (and rear mech)

yeah built up using xc race forks. probably rather light xc wheels and a carbon finishing kit, all money i dont have.
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Surely its the fact that pretty much all the components on the bike are only middle of the road. Not really top end spec. Although there are only a few grams between each components (ie the weight difference between Easton EA30 and EA70), these all add up. Like they say, every little helps.

If you want a lighter bike you'll have to buy lighter (and unfortunately more expensive) parts
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    you will be surprised how much you can build up a light bike for. ebay and the classifieds are goldmines for bargains. ive built many bikes up from parts bought only from ebay and the finished articles have been amazing value for money
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    pastey_boy wrote:
    you will be surprised how much you can build up a light bike for. ebay and the classifieds are goldmines for bargains. ive built many bikes up from parts bought only from ebay and the finished articles have been amazing value for money
    Indeed, I have a 100mm travel 27lb steel hardtail that I built up for ~£500. Orange Clockwork frame Reba forks, X7, X9 & XT, SLX, Hope, Thomson, Schwalbe, Mavic...

Mostly bought from forums & ebay. If you look around long enough you can find loads of bargains.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Be patient in finding them though. Its just so easy to crumble and spend spend spend!
  • R.lepecha
    its taken me 6 months to get my bike to this point. and i dont quite just have the money there when something pops up on a forum at a realy good deal.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    R.lepecha wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

yeah built up using xc race forks. probably rather light xc wheels and a carbon finishing kit, all money i dont have.

Jesus christ stop whining then. No one can expect to buy/build a sub-25lbs lightweight XC machine without the money. If you really, really want a lighter bike work overtime, get an interest free credit card or rob a bank....
  • R.lepecha
    when im 15. yeah that works. i never actualy asked for people to recommend ,e what to buy, i asked why it seemed so heavy.
  • D-Cyph3r wrote:
    R.lepecha wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

Jesus christ stop whining then. No one can expect to buy/build a sub-25lbs lightweight XC machine without the money. If you really, really want a lighter bike work overtime, get an interest free credit card or rob a bank....

To be fair, there's a big difference in asking for a sub-25lbs bike and asking for a sub-35lbs bike...

Seriously, I'd try weighing it again. On some different scales. Failing that, save your dinner money...
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    R.lepecha wrote:
    when im 15. yeah that works. i never actualy asked for people to recommend ,e what to buy, i asked why it seemed so heavy.

Perhaps it's a combination of gravity and the fact your bike just sucks?
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    time to get used to the fact that this is the time when you get fit riding a heavy lump and get to mock people who complain riding lighter bikes. My old bike (£150 lbs jobbie) was significantly heavier than a friends coiler but it kept me fit. Eventually decided I wanted to spend the money to upgrade, scraped some cash together, and put something decent together. Just something to put up with I'm afraid.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Dirtydog11
    R.lepecha wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

i wieghed it on scales so yeah its done properly really. and yeah it is quite a light steel frame,

Dirtydog11 - yeah but wheels weighing that much are going to be 200+ for the set, and fork would be like 400. like i have that sort of money on me. and yeah the frames a replacement because i cracked 2 aluminium frames. and steel is stronger plus steel makes a better trail bike because it rides smoother.

I have simply pointed out three items that I would regard as heavy. As it turns out your frame is pretty light for steel. You mentioned nothing about budget and why would money even come into it when the question was why is my bike heavy?
  • armymankin
    armymankin Posts: 213
    just ride what you have... it is a never ending story to pursue the lightest bike.
    take a dump before the ride, that should save a couple hundred grams.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't think your scales are correct.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    You could always travel to the moon you 35lb bike would only weigh 5.5lbs there.

Might be less hassle to replace some of the heavier parts though, start with the tyres
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    You could always travel to the moon you 35lb bike would only weigh 5.5lbs there.

Might be less hassle to replace some of the heavier parts though, start with the tyres
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Google "weight weenies" and go to the listings pages, it will give you an idea of the weights of your bits relative to others.

35lbs still sounds heavy, my daughters cheap and cheerful commuting MTB (Shogun Jackal) only weighs that (ally frame but cheap steel forks).

A bit anal maybe, but when I built my commuter, and doing the same with my MTB I weigh every part before bolting it on so I know where its overweight and where its competative, so for future upgrades I can look at cost/weight saving very objectively!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    I bet he's sorry he asked. :lol:
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    With your current kit you're at the point where saving weight is actually very cheap.
    Like a earlier poster mentioned - you could save 3.5kg (7.7lbs) by upgrading a few key components totaling around £400-£500, that's around £12 per 100g weight saving.

By comparison i'm at the point where I need to spend £200 to save 100g in weight.

Upgrade in stages to spread the cost.

• jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    this thread just all seams a bit pointless to me :?

why ask "why is my bike so heavy?" and then we tell you (heavy component's) and you say you don't have the money?

what did you really want out of this thread?