Pringle-shaped wheel

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited May 2010 in Workshop
I am doing up an old Pashley for my wife on which the front wheel was badly warped probably because kids had ridden around on the rims.

It was, amazingly, just rideable, but then there is masses of clearance on these wheels as Pashleys have internal brakes.

I did not attempt to straighten the rim by bending, but simply trued the wheel as best I could. It is now much straighter, but it still has a marked wobble. My wife isn't bothered - so long as she does not look down.

Any tips for gettign this better? I would have thought carefully truing should get any bent wheel round and the spokes are strong enough to pull the rim straight. Or should I get another rim and start from new? (These wheels and spokes are good quality - although heavy and archaic in design.)

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on what the rim is made from and how big the buckle - but more than 1-2cm is very difficult to retrue using spoke tension alone - you just end-up overstressing the spokes, causing them to fail prematurely. Have you tried releasing the spoke tension in all the spokes and re-trueing? Expect that a new rim is the only way to get them reliable and true.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    from the sounds of things the rim is gone, you'll need a new rim.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Depends on what the rim is made from and how big the buckle - but more than 1-2cm is very difficult to retrue using spoke tension alone - you just end-up overstressing the spokes, causing them to fail prematurely. Have you tried releasing the spoke tension in all the spokes and re-trueing? Expect that a new rim is the only way to get them reliable and true.

Some of the spokes are indeed very tight, but they are much thicker than on my road bikes. My wife is loving this piece of cycling archaeology, and I quite like the peculiar riding position - you are sitting on top of the back wheel. Makes me suspect there is not much weight on the front, but I reckon I will have to learn how to build my first wheel.