Boardman Pro vs Genesis Core 50

GrooveRider
GrooveRider Posts: 11
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Just as I was about to push the button on a Boardman Pro, I read the hardtail supertest in this months WMB.

Their verdict was the Core 50 was the best of the bunch, beating the Boardman (which they expected to be the bike to beat). So now I'm confused!

The negative comment on the Boardman was on the rougher stuff, the ride got rattley because of the skinny tryes - and there's not much tyre space for anything bigger. Whereas the Core 50 would take anything thrown at it.

In terms of what I want to be doing on the bike, it'll be standard XC stuff, nothing too outrageous in the first instance - though that might change as my riding develops.

Given the core is a mere 200 quid more, does it make sense to go for something that will cover all bases now and in the future? Or does the spec on the Boardman outshine the Genesis?

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Read the test again and think carefully about where you ride now and in the future.
    For fast xc rides the Boardman would be best but the Core would be a better all rounder,and potentially a better bet if you will later want to ride in rocky areas.

On the kit spec though the Boardman beats the Core.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've had 2.25" Racing Ralphs on my Pro without any rubbing, if that's any help.

That 'mere' £200 would easily get you better (bigger) tyres and a carbon seatpost which would definitely take the edge off the 'rattly' ride. This is what I've got (2.1" Maxxis Advantages and an Exotic carbon seatpost) and I don't think the ride is particularly harsh.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • GrooveRider
    Read the test again and think carefully about where you ride now and in the future.
    Right now I'd say the Boardman is going to cover my needs, in the future it's hard to say. I'm just getting back into MB and I'll be trying different stuff, so I may get into tougher stuff, I may not.

I guess the other point would be what WMB testers class as tough territory I'd class as REALLY tough territory.

For a second opinion, anybody with a Boardman Pro chime in and comment on how it handles tougher stuff? Anybody ridden both?

One thing's for certain, I prefer the paint job on the Boardman to the Core, I'm not a massive fan of purple!
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I had a Boardman Pro for about 8 months, and it was more than able to hand most of the stuff I could throw at it before my riding advanced due to going out with a different crowd.

I'd change the tyres straight away (personally I didnt get on with the supplied Speed Kings) and went for some Nobby Nics and XC Fire Pro's which did the job.

Given the choice of the two, I'd go for a Boardman again, definitely. Excellent value for money, great spec, great looks.

Are you able to try either of them? The Boardman could be the best spec'd bike in the world, but if it isnt comfortable, its a waste of every penny you'd spend on it.

Just my 2p worth
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • GrooveRider
    I've tried a Boardman and liked it, though I've not tried a Core.

Based on the comments here and some convo's with Bails I'm going to go for the Boardman - and likely change the tyres.

I've noted the Nobby Nics and XC Fire Pro's - any other tyre recommendations that''ll work on the pro?

Thanks for all advice - that's a mere 200 quid saved!
  • MudPig
    MudPig Posts: 55
    I don't think the Boardman even came second in that test did it? Wasn't it 4th or 5th? Interesting that it's got really good parts but still came relatively low in the pecking order. I guess high spec isn't everything.
  • GrooveRider
    The test results were:

1) Genesis Core 50
    2) Marin White Line
    3) Gary Fisher X Calibre

With the Boardman their overall 'xc and value champion' and 'best value bike £900-£1000' winner.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    These tests rprove that there`s no substitute to trying them for yourselves as inevitably some bikes work better for some than others.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • GrooveRider
    These tests rprove that there`s no substitute to trying them for yourselves as inevitably some bikes work better for some than others.

I agree, the way I interpret the results (and I assume WMB think you should interpret them) is if the winners/recommended appear in your price range you should test them yourself. The Fisher X Caliber for example wasn't as comfortable a fit as the Boardman for me.
  • jones1467
    jones1467 Posts: 29
    Completed the Dyfi Enduro this weekend on a Boardman Pro HT with Speed King tyres at 40 psi, conditions varied from fire roads & muddy swamps to steep rocky downhills all of which the Boardman handled admirably. So let me tell you sirs, the Boardman is the buisness..x