Kona Caldera v Giant XTC

chrism_scotland
chrism_scotland Posts: 221
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Really just looking for opinion spec wise and value wise on the following bikes reflecting the 11% fee for purchasing sale bikes via Cyclescheme from Pauls.:

Kona Caldera 2009 - £610 via Cyclescheme (Pauls)

Kona Caldera 2010 - £870 - LBS

Giant XTC 1 2009 - £943 (Pauls)

Giant XTC 2 2009 - £788 (Pauls)

Comments

• Cheers mate, I've got a £1000 Cyclescheme Voucher, I am tempted by the Caldera from Pauls but not sure I can even think of £400 of kit to get with it!
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have the 09 Caldera. Its a great bike - nice and light but pretty tough too.

Get a decent helmet, pads, rucksack, gloves, shorts, baselayer and outer layer and you'll be well on the way to £400 of kit
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • nonnac85 wrote:
    I have the 09 Caldera. Its a great bike - nice and light but pretty tough too.

Get a decent helmet, pads, rucksack, gloves, shorts, baselayer and outer layer and you'll be well on the way to £400 of kit

I was thinking that, struggling to find too much other kit on the Pauls Cycles site though...
  • Well I gotta decide which bike to order, still leaning toward the XTC 1 due to its spec, is there much difference in spec between the 09 & 10 Caldera and the 09 XTC 1?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Geometry is quite different on these 2.Kona is slacker so it will come down to riding them and what you like.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I guess the XTC 1 09 is going to be the same geometry wise to my old XTC (2005) which I liked the layout of, although I would order a smaller frame this time.

Is a racier setup like the XTC 1 better suited for on road use than the Kona's?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I guess the XTC 1 09 is going to be the same geometry wise to my old XTC (2005) which I liked the layout of, although I would order a smaller frame this time.

Is a racier setup like the XTC 1 better suited for on road use than the Kona's?

Geometry is similar.I`d probably want a racier set up for prolonged road use.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • alanswalker
    alanswalker Posts: 27
    the 09 caldera is a belter. I got one in feb and havent looked back.

£400 to spend on gear? Easy! Maybe spend the money upgrading the fork? or get some new spds?
  • the 09 caldera is a belter. I got one in feb and havent looked back.

£400 to spend on gear? Easy! Maybe spend the money upgrading the fork? or get some new spds?

I wasn't sure exactly what kit the Cyclescheme voucher can be used on, can anyone advise?

Also Paul cycles dont seem.to have a hige range of bike components or kit on their website that I could spend the £400 on.