11-32 cassette compatible with Shimano 105 rear derailleur?

NickBroon
NickBroon Posts: 17
edited May 2010 in Workshop
My Bike is currently setup with the following:

Shifters Shimano Taigra STI
*9 rear speed
*double or triple front
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105 RD-5600-SS
*9/10 speed
*Max: 27T
*Min: 11T
*Max Front Diff: 16T
*Total Capacity: 29
Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra FD-4500-B
*9 speed only
*Top Gear: 50-56T
*Max range: 16T
Chainset Shimano Tiagra *FC-4550-S
*9 speed only
*50-34T
Chain Shimano HG-53
*9 speed only
Freewheel Shimano HG-50
*9 speed
*12-25T

I'd like some lower gears for climbing hills (often with a pannier).
I think the simplest and cheapest option is to replace the rear freewheel cassette.
Does anyone know if something like a Shimano Deore HG61 11-32T would be compatible with my current setup? Specifically my current short cage rear derailleur appears to be limited to 27T, but I believe that Shimano numbers are often considered conservative.
What other options do I have to achieve lower gearing ratios?

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You can not use a 32 tooth cassette with that mech.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12583566
    All your questions and options are here.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm positive your 105 rear won't work on a 32 tooth cog. However, your 9 speed shifters should work with a Shimano MTB rear mech. I have used DA 9 speed shifters with a MTB rear without problems.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    fit a MTB mech, a short cage (GS) will do.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • NickBroon
    NickBroon Posts: 17
    So a small improvement in lower gears would be change the rear cassette to something like a 9 speed 11-27T or 12-27T. Is such a 9 speed cassette available?

Or I could go with a 9 speed HG61 11-32T cassette if I replaced the rear derailleur with something like a Shimano Deore XT 772 Shadow short cage (GS) derailleur as my Shimano Taigra STI shifters are compatible?
    (any issues with front derailleur working with new setup, other than needing a longer chain?)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    NickBroon wrote:
    So a small improvement in lower gears would be change the rear cassette to something like a 9 speed 11-27T or 12-27T. Is such a 9 speed cassette available?

Or I could go with a 9 speed HG61 11-32T cassette if I replaced the rear derailleur with something like a Shimano Deore XT 772 Shadow short cage (GS) derailleur as my Shimano Taigra STI shifters are compatible?
    (any issues with front derailleur working with new setup, other than needing a longer chain?)
    12/27 is a standard Shimano cassette so no trouble there.
    No problem fitting any GS MTB mech. No issues with the front. Just a longer chain needed. You will of course have wider gaps between gears but that is the price of a wider range.
    All this has been covered many times over in the thread I posted a link to.