Parents against spending £££s on a MTB ?

Comments

• Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Tell them it's either you spend it on a bike or probably ed up loitering around some bus stop or street corner drinking white l;ightning and spending it all on heroin - Easy!
  • @jonbonjovial : lol my money usually goes on my 306 !! and jumpsuits/ guitars etc

ThankYouVeryMuch
  • yeah im 19 and i get constantly bemused looks when i tell people how much money ive spent on my bike.

i get even more bemused bikes when i point out my bike is worth 5 times my car :D

but on the grounds that i bought it all myself, or it was birthday/xmas presents from anyone/everyone they dont mind, just abit confused by it all :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    @jonbonjovial : lol my money usually goes on my 306 !! and jumpsuits

Jumpsuits? what?
  • Oxygen Thief
    I'll never be able to justify buying a bike for 1k plus i don't think. I think I will have to think of it in terms of how much it will save me voer the year on petrol, going out drinking instead of for a ride etc.
  • ElvisPresley
    ElvisPresley Posts: 37
    edited May 2010
    @yeehaamcgee : have you never seen me in concert?

ThankYouVeryMuch
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    And, as a general rule, most of the people involved in cycling turn out to be pretty decent people.

apart from roadies :lol:
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    pHz wrote:
    easiest tactic is to get the mum / wife / GF / etc into the hobby in question

with both my expensive gearhead hobbies (MTB & archery) ive got my wife into them as well so when stuff ive mysteriously ordered is delivered she knows what it is and understands what it does - thats half the battle against the 'you spent how much on that ?!? ' question won

(the other half is to buy her something shiny for her bike / bow every so often to keep things sweet)

heehee

slainte :lol: rob

Nice to find someone else who is into MTB and Archery!!! (cue all the usual Robin Hood comments....)

Where/What do you shoot?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    You've gotta have a sense of humor, especially where parents and forums are concerned :P

If you've got the bug, and chances you have.... you don't have to prove or argue anything. As enough people have already said.. "Just ride".

For what its worth (... get it :roll:), I've got nine bikes, my best shoes are my Sidi's.... and I don't own a car - Life's good.
  • Oxygen Thief
    9 bikes?!?! Respect! Don't see the need but each to their own
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    At 19 I'd suggest your old enough to make your own choice on how you spend your money, especially when you have a reason to buy a bike like getting fit to join the forces. If you are going to join the forces I'm sure you are going to need to make a lot more choices for yourself that are more important than buying a bike! You obviously sound sensible enough to realise if you buy it and don't like it I'm sure you can sell it and cut your losses.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I'm planning on buying a new road bike very soon, but my mum is constantly telling me I should be saving money for university, etc. etc.

So now I've just got to decide on what wheels I want..
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    realman, im gonna drop pretty much all my savings on a new bike around december time, my rents also say i should be saving for uni, but tbh im gonna have a huge debt anyway so whats 3 or 4 grand difference gonna make :lol:

as for the OP, do it while you still can mate, sod the car and the parents, i can tell you know the amount of people who actually give it ago will stick with it for many many years.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    lawman wrote:
    realman, im gonna drop pretty much all my savings on a new bike around december time, my rents also say i should be saving for uni, but tbh im gonna have a huge debt anyway so whats 3 or 4 grand difference gonna make :lol:

3 or 4 grand? Sounds like a nice bike.. :D

I've been thinking the same thing, just for different reasons. The way I see it, once I start uni I'm not going to be able to afford a new bike. Better get one now.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Get a part time job and dont pi55 all you money up the wall on that warm flat urine they call beer in student bars and you will be able to. I just have!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    RealMan wrote:
    lawman wrote:

3 or 4 grand? Sounds like a nice bike.. :D

I've been thinking the same thing, just for different reasons. The way I see it, once I start uni I'm not going to be able to afford a new bike. Better get one now.

yer thats what i thought, im not gonna this amount of money to splash on a bike for a long most likely, so im thinkin do it now while im still young and stupid :lol: i work in the lbs, so i get a damn good discount, so that will either help lessen the blow or just make me buy more expensive kit, been doin some maths and i could build quite possilby the best all round bike money could buy, if i can the frame i want im sorted :D
  • Biffz0id
    Biffz0id Posts: 123
    To be honest, if you love it and it's not a fad then it's an investment :).
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    Cheshley wrote:
    Nice to find someone else who is into MTB and Archery!!! (cue all the usual Robin Hood comments....)
    Where/What do you shoot?
    bit OT but - been shooting about 4 years now (and sadly not getting any better) - target recurve mostly (although i do have a longbow and a mongolian as well as an 'antique' one piece hunting recurve too)

my club is http://www.isleofthornsarchers.com

back slightly on topic - when i look at our bikes and our bows its pretty scary sometimes how much money is sitting around the house in terms of sporting gear (my main recurve archery setup probably cost more than a decent full-sus bike if i were to add it all up)

slainte :shock: rob
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    your consumerism = more profit for companies in the supply chain = better return on investment for shareholders = more money in your parents pension fund,
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    bails87 wrote:
    Parents will always err on the side of saving though, it's their job to be sensible :wink:

Hmm, please allow me to prove you wrong... :D

As a parent of 2 boys who went through the MTBing phase, I can wholeheartedly recommend spending as much money as possible on your bike(s).

Vin (who's 21 now) has a very nice Kona Caldera XC race bike and a roadie commuter bike, Dan (who's 18 ) has a Dirty Joe single speed XC bike and a Specialized Hardrock, that's been converted to SS, DJ Forks, DMR Revolver Rims on Mavic Rims (the indistructable ones...) for DJing and a bit of steet/park. Currently looking for a heavier duty frame for this bike.

During the building of the bikes (which I did most of), I would suggest/recommend various parts for the build, taking into consideration the amount of abuse or the reliability issues of each part. You pretty much gets what you pays for, if you wan't quality, you are going to have to pay for it.

Similarly, I when I was young (yes, we did have bikes in those days), I didn't have any issues with spending vast amounts of money on bikes - both my parents were racing cyclists. They did frown when, at the age of 18 (that's in 1980), I spent £575 to have a custom made frame built. I still have the frame and its still got a few years left on the 50 year warrenty...
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I went out and spent £1750 on my Trek. And I already had spend £1000 on a Scott (which I have since sold). Even though Im 33 I still get the lecture from the folks.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    Parents will always err on the side of saving though, it's their job to be sensible :wink:

Ok, non-cycling parents will usually err on the side of saving.....

There's always an awkward one isn't there! :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Parents helped me fund my first proper bike in 1994.
    They then talked me in to joining a club and getting out at weekends.

They're happy to learn I've started cycling again.

Neither of them are cyclists. I just think they wanted me out of the house.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Ok, non-cycling parents will usually err on the side of saving.....

There's always an awkward one isn't there! :wink:

That's me... :lol:
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    I have been told that i am stupid for even considering spending money on a bike.

:lol::lol::lol:

And they think YOU'RE stupid??
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I'm 40 this year and still have to be economical with the facts when chatting with my parents about how much I spend on things like mountain bikes or motorbikes. It never changes - Mum's simply can't understand how anyone would want to spend more than a couple of hundred £££'s on a mountain bike
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,768
    I told my parents that i am going to purchase a MTB. I have been told that i am stupid for even considering spending money on a bike.

I am just wondering if anyone else on here has come up against this type of resistance from their parents or from anyone else?

ThankYouVeryMuch
    If it's your money, ignore them and get the bike bought. The married man's phrase "It is better to ask forgiveness than permission" also applies to young'uns with interfering parents :wink:

If it's not your money, try being nice and point out the benefits on your health and how you could be spending cash on booze/illegal substances/raves/women of loose moral etc. They might come round to the idea that there are worse things to fund you for. My folks helped fund my first car after first giving the same sort of cr@p, as I then got 'very interested' in motorbikes and they thought I'd be much less likely to kill myself on 4 wheels :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Elvis: it's too late now but next time aim high, shoot low.

You want an MTB? Ask for a motorcycle or a scooter. Simples.
  • jenine
    jenine Posts: 22
    i like it when i go home and see the losers i used to know when i was growing up, then telling them how much i spent on my bike, then them realising that 6 mounts wages to them.....thats why u should listen at school!!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jenine wrote:
    i like it when i go home and see the losers i used to know when i was growing up, then telling them how much i spent on my bike, then them realising that 6 mounts wages to them.....thats why u should listen at school!!!

Yeah, you might learn how to spell 'months' then :wink::lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."