Helmets...

lost surfer
lost surfer Posts: 49
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Evening,

anyone got a 2010 Giro Hex Cycle Helmet? any good or anything better for the money

thanks

j

Comments

• Great helmet.

Pick up MBUK this month for a great breakdown of the current best helmets on offer.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Helmets a helmet to me
  • lost surfer
    lost surfer Posts: 49
    pretty true jonbonjovial. Just found it for £35 so might as well give it a go

I'll pick up this months MBUK anyway thanks
  • ReubenN
    ReubenN Posts: 4
    I've had a Scott Karma since September - great helmet. Was meant to be £70, I paid £40, and have just seen Evans Cycles have it in the sale for £20 - gutted for me!

It's light, well ventilated, and hasn't yet split when I've landed on it - what more can I say?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Most important thing is to check it fits properly; it doesn't matter how "good" a helmet is - if it isn't protecting your head properly it isn't doing its job.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Helmets a helmet to me
    I disagree.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I find the Hex a bit hot and insects get stuck in it and bite my head, so not that well vented.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like my Hex a lot, but fit has to come first. My Flux is a less good bit of kit but it's the one I wear just because it sits my head that little bit better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Hex is a great well vented comfortable helmet for the money if it fits your head shape. there's a couple of niggles but overall great value helmet. Try before you buy. Try all the brands on your head before you buy.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Much as I hate wearing a helmet, I got a hex as it was cheap and looks like it can do the job. So far so good. It's OK and I hope it does the job if it's ever called upon.
    I may try a pi$$ pot next as they seem to offer more all round protection, back of the head, ect..
    I'm sure there are some views on them?
  • Piss pots are generally hotter with limited ventilation and less adjustability. If you hate wearing a Hex (one of the better looking helmets IMO) I doubt a piss pot will be any better.

Good for DJ's though.
  • antfly
    Anyone who thinks it`s well vented can`t have tried a really well vented helmet that doesn`t get insects stuck in it.
  • I've never had insects stuck in mine :lol:
    I do find it hot, but then I only paid £35 so I can't really complain!
  • blister pus
    antfly wrote:
    Anyone who thinks it`s well vented can`t have tried a really well vented helmet that doesn`t get insects stuck in it.

Comes down to price obviously doesn't it. Compare it to an indicater which has 20 vents the hex with 21 and a different design works and works well. where it does need to be improved is the forehead padding area and that roc-loc design they use on it isn't as good as they think. But the actual top of your head is extremely well vented. I know this because when i take it off my forehead and sides are p!ss wet through and the top dry. Compare it to a xen and there is difference again.
  • al2098 wrote:
    I may try a pi$$ pot next as they seem to offer more all round protection, back of the head, ect..
    I'm sure there are some views on them?

You'll sweat like a motherf*****. A skatepark I used to go to enforced a helmet rule, meaning you had to hire one if you didn't bring your own. It'd be wringing wet before you even put it on your head. Not a pleasant experience.
  • antfly
    antfly wrote:

Comes down to price obviously doesn't it. Compare it to an indicater which has 20 vents the hex with 21 and a different design works and works well. where it does need to be improved is the forehead padding area and that roc-loc design they use on it isn't as good as they think. But the actual top of your head is extremely well vented. I know this because when i take it off my forehead and sides are p!ss wet through and the top dry. Compare it to a xen and there is difference again.

To read the blurb you would think it is the best vented helmet money can buy but you don`t know until you try it. I bought an Atmos when I started road cycling ,I think it`s worth the extra cash to stay cool and not get bitten to pieces.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Think I'll rethink the p/pot idea.
    Bit of a p/poor idea i figure..
    I'll stick with the Hex :lol:
  • antfly
    I doubt you'll find many people to moan about the Hex as you. Its a cracking helmet for the price.
  • antfly
    OK i`ll stop moaning.

It is hot though. :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's really not, it's exactly as hot as my Flux, ie not.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I get a full on ice-cream head in my Flux. It's painfully cold for half of the year..

Winter and summer helmets?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    And pisspots are not that hot if you get the right one.

I have a Giro Flak and wear it regularly on XC rides and never overheat with it, I am used to a 661 Evo (full face) as well though so that will be some of it
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I get a full on ice-cream head in my Flux. It's painfully cold for half of the year..

Get a buff or something similar and then you are sorted :wink:
  • blister pus

why not. i use the hex in spring / summer / autumn and an indicator when it's minus.
  • antfly
    I only use my hex in the winter but maybe i`m just a sweaty bar steward.