What MTB tyres for a trip to France in two weeks - 70% road?

Snelly
Snelly Posts: 140
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

9 of us are off to France in 10 days for a cycle up the Seine valley in France. 2 days up and 2 days back, sometimes up to 60 miles a day. We are all going on mountain bikes but maybe up to 70% will be on the roads.

I was planning to put plenty of air in my current tyres - Specialized Captains - but am now considering buying some new tyres for the trip and am looking for suggestions. Sould I have something more road-biased and if so, what?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Snelly
Fortes fortuna adiuvat.

Comments

• Snelly
    Anyone?
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds something for the the road area and maybe the touring bit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Snelly
    Good suggestion - thanks.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    If you still want an MTB tyre, prob best to go for something very fast rolling - can recommend Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1s. If you want more of a road tyre, I use the Schwalbe Marathon Racer 1.5s for commuting and some touring - also an excellent tyre. Depends I guess how rough the other 30% of your journey will be. If its just on hardpack / towpaths, I'd go for the MRs, but if there are some proper MTB trails I'd go for the RRs.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    maxxis holy rollers sound good for your need assuming the off road is dryish and mostly hardpacked
  • Snelly
    Very helpful - thanks
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat.