Best buy for added efficiency - £500ish

incurab1e
incurab1e Posts: 84
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
hey,

I'm doing another big touring ride this summer and all the guys i'm going with have full carbon bikes, with better groupsets and generally better hardware.

I am wondering what would be the best way for me to make maximum efficiency gains for around £500.

I could spend a bit more if my local bike shop will be flexible with the cycle to work scheme, which i suspect they will.

I am riding a Bianchi C2C Nirone 7. Shimano 105, FSA Omega Crank, shimano WH-R500 wheels and SPD pedals with Specialized SPD cross shoes.

I'm wondering if money would be best spent on a frame, or wheels, or even pedals and carbon shoes

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    First thought is wheels, tyres as well?

If the bike is comfy for you then that counts for a lot. You could waste a lot of cash on a frame that is no better
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • I suspect just like me you are being slowly being seduced by carbon fiber dream machines.

I have the exact bike you have (but crap sora) and came third at my first 40 mile timed ride.

How come the carbonfiber mega money bling brigade did not hammer my time into the ground ?

When you have got as much out of your legs then its time to start worrying about
    the bike.

Just remember there is a lot of blokes doing 50 miles a week and spending small fortunes for gains that could be physically quadrupled by adding another 50 miles a week to there rides.

Good luck with your ride, that sounded like my dad giving one of his "good tools never made a crafts man son" lectures. sorry !
    That's 30 mins extra in the saddle each work day which costs nearly nothing.

If you have honestly gone as far as you can on the physical side of your prep. then spend the money drink and loose women, you won't ride any better but at least you will have something nice to think about as you pedal away.
  • incurab1e
    the main thing is that because i'm riding with guys who have the bling machines, so obv. they have it a bit easier than me and with an impending cycle to work period (may) i reckon i could upgrade a bit
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Your basic bike is pretty good so I wouldn't worry to much about the carbon wonders. If you want some nice wheels then by all means buy some, £300 would give you a set of wheels that you would feel a big difference. I would spend the rest on good tyres,saddle,bar tape and brake pads. This would give a overall improvement in areas that matter ie comfort and handling.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I've just transferred Ultegra kit from an alu Boardman frame onto a Planet X carbon frame. I'm no faster than I was. I find the ride more comfortable which was what I was after.

Wheels/tyres are definitely the way forward (pun not intended).
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    incurab1e wrote:
    hey,

I'm doing another big touring ride this summer and all the guys i'm going with have full carbon bikes, with better groupsets and generally better hardware.

I am wondering what would be the best way for me to make maximum efficiency gains for around £500.

I could spend a bit more if my local bike shop will be flexible with the cycle to work scheme, which i suspect they will.

I am riding a Bianchi C2C Nirone 7. Shimano 105, FSA Omega Crank, shimano WH-R500 wheels and SPD pedals with Specialized SPD cross shoes.

I'm wondering if money would be best spent on a frame, or wheels, or even pedals and carbon shoes

The WH-500 wheels are excellent value for money (at £70 - 80 a pair or whatever) - nice basic training wheels - however, you'd a get a noticeable boost by upgrading to some RS80's or similar (DA 390g rims - they're meant to be a buzz when going uphill, in particular) - I'd upgrade your wheels and tyres pronto. Also, hows your Saddle and bars ?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Pro Race 3 tyres - prepare to be amazed. - down to to £24 at some places

SPD \ SL Pedals and cleats
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I would replace your FSA Omega chainset, those things are damn heavy, especially the bottom bracket.
    I just replaced mine with a Shimano 105 and it`s made a big improvement.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    speedplay pedals, s-works shoes, a cycle fit.

£500 spent. maximum efficiency added
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pro Race 3 tyres - prepare to be amazed. - down to to £24 at some places

SPD \ SL Pedals and cleats

Come on supply the link then, so those that would like some can buy!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited May 2010
    Assuming that your position on the bike is the same and you run same tyres at the same pressure, the only performance difference (comfort aside) between bikes at different price bands will be a slight weight difference.

£500 upgrade may save you probably the weight equivalent of 1-2 full water bottles.
    How much faster can it make you?

Don't get me wrong. If you have money to spend for an upgrade that will make your bike nicer to ride, then go for it, but don't expect any noticeable difference in your av speed.

I'd just invest in a pair of fast tyres with good puncture protection and spend more time riding at high intensity (intervals) before the trip.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Barteos is basically right. A better bike is going to make very little difference to how fast you are.

That said, better parts / a better bike should make getting the the finish line more fun and will make you much more comfortable on the way (chosen well) so assuming your bike fits well wheels are the part that makes the most difference to how the bike feels. My vote, spend £400+ on wheels and buy some PR3's.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    puma electric motor and spend anything left on a load of epo?
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    puma electric motor and spend anything left on a load of epo?

I like it. A lot.
  • incurab1e
    Thanks a lot for the info guys - sorry i haven't been back for ages. Life without internet is RUBBISH!

I have narrowed it down to wheels, pedals and shoes.

american classic victory 30's OR Shimano RS80s

Some Keo pedals, and stiff shoes (probably whatever the shop have in)

has anybody tried both sets of wheels? They're almost identically priced in my local shop (£100 off rrp of the RS80s)
  • I ended up with the American Classic Victory 30's and I LOVE them!! They really are nice smooth wheels.

They roll very nicely but I am havign to take them back to the shop - I just did LEJOG (via the 3 peaks), the last 2 days i was riding with a buckle in my back wheel and a very loose spoke - We tightnened the spoke a coiple of times but it manages to wriggle free, and in the highlands there aren't a plethora of bike shops!

Wether that means these wheels are built badly i dont' know, i could have just hit something i guess
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Now get rid of the awful, bottom of the range, twice as heavy as any other, chainset.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I have the RS 80s and love them.

Now what do you do?

Chris
  • The shop couldn't get the RS80s in time for my trip so i went with the Victory 30's. They are sexy

34906_451562747106_626022106_6537921_1103479_n.jpg

[/img]
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    If I had 500 quid to spend on getting faster I would invest in a personal trainer and dump the last 2 extra stone I am carrying around :)
    A biking runner :)
  • Wheels and tyres.

It's not about the bike mate, it's the rider. Your mates have "bling" bikes, so what, enjoy your ride and the company that's what it's all about. Have a few pints, plenty of laughs and let the memories stack up.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.