Slime tubes? or not slime tubes

pamuzu
pamuzu Posts: 89
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

Along with being egged on a ride I have also had 5 punctures in the last fortnight. Iver bought new tyres, however also considering getting some Slime tubes.

Are they worth it?

Thanks

Phil
Phil

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Nope - in my experience they are worse than useless. What sort of punctures are you getting - pinch flats or penetration (thorns and the like)? I've found kevlar reinforced tyres work well for penetration punctures. I'm trying hardcase tyres to prevent pinch flats from the really rough roads I ride.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Giant Phil
    Giant Phil Posts: 116
    Hutchinson Equinox.

1400miles and not a single flat, and that was on devonshire roads.

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.
  • pamuzu
    Hi,

Mostly im getting problems with small glass bits. However today I went down a huge pothole that was coverd with water. I intially thought my front fork must be damaged by the impact, but about 50 mts on the back tyre went flat.

Ill have to go back to Kevlar tyres. Bought some Michelin ones two weeks ago and had 5 flats since! Althgough one was a repair job that came off.

Doing Manchester - Blackpool and want to make sure I can put a good time in.

Cheers
    Phil
  • have you tryed pumbing tyres to 110 to 120 psi work a treat on my con gatorskins normal pumb
  • pamuzu
    Hi,

Yes thanks, normally pump it up to around 20+. Manchester road are just poor for potholes and glass.

I went 3 months without a flat,now 5 in a fortnight! Sure ill get the tyres right.

Thanks

Phil
    Phil
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if you want the same effect, try popping some stans sealant into your tube, schwalbe tubes all have removable cores. That actually works though because the stans has latex particles that plug holes.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I wouldn't touch slime tubes again, if you do get a hole in them you can't repair them as the slime stops any patch from sticking so if the hole is bigger than the slime stuff can fix, then it's in the bin it goes.